Diarrhea, bloat, worms spotted on kids

BoPeep75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So we are relatively new to owning goats, and about four of our littlest ones are showing definite signs of parasite infestation, one of them is particularly huge for her little size and I have seen white worms coming out of her rectum today. The vet we used to use is no longer treating farm animals due to an insurance issue, so I called a new one today and he suggested Dectomax injectable for the whole herd at 1cc per 100 lbs. I told him I was not sure of the worm type, because I had not taken a sample in yet. I don’t know enough about it to know if this is barber pole or something else. But he said that this would cover everything. I was kind of surprised he didn’t want to come out and check them himself but he said he could come out if I needed him to afterward.

Has anyone had experience with this drug? I typically try to do natural remedies like garlic and diatomaceous earth but I realize these were particularly small babies and more susceptible and this needs something more. I don’t know if I should wait to give them a copper bolus as well. I know most of the dewormers for goats are oral, or at least that’s what I see used most often. Just because we’re new to goats and new to this vet, I was hoping to get some opinions on this. I’ve heard of ivermectin, and safeguard, and several others that I don’t really have any experience with. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Curse word that the vet didn't care about the kind of worm.

There is no such thing (as far as I know) as a medicine that kills ALL kinds of worms.

We can hope, that the vet isn't a total moron, and told you the name of the wormer that works best in your area on the largest number of local worms.

I would follow the vets advice on worming.

Finish the worming treatment and THEN give them the copper.

Also... I suggest you look up what your local worms could be... and look up how to kill them....

Your new vet.... not impressed.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our local vet had us use ivermectin on our goats, and we injected it.

Actually....

:lol:

After bad mouthing your vet... my vet, who I loved... never did a fecal on our goats.... but then I live in Alaska, so we have worms, but only a few kinds.

BoPeep75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Curse word that the vet didn't care about the kind of worm.

There is no such thing (as far as I know) as a medicine that kills ALL kinds of worms.

We can hope, that the vet isn't a total moron, and told you the name of the wormer that works best in your area on the largest number of local worms.

I would follow the vets advice on worming.

Finish the worming treatment and THEN give them the copper.

Also... I suggest you look up what your local worms could be... and look up how to kill them....

Your new vet.... not impressed.
I too thought that he would ask for a sample or at least come out and look for himself. Most people that I read about prefer oral dewormers although I’ve heard that this is supposed to be pretty good stuff. I think I read that it was originally used for cattle and swine. I was thinking about getting a different type to go along with it orally but I’m not sure. I think… And I’m not sure about this… But I think ivermectin is kind of in the same class so I would probably have to pick something else out. I did try to call yet another vet just to kind of see what they said but can’t get a hold of them. :-( I guess we will give this a whirl and see. Thank you!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The fact is this....what you give will kill some! Better than doing nothing. So DO it. Then hit them with Another type in 7 to 10 days. Look, worms are a fact of life for most. Now we can moan, groan and do all suggested. Fact is, some worms will survive.

Give it...follow up and worry about how much you like this vet after. Most all dewormers are safe with a high safety for overdose. Most common ones will respond. Ivermectin will kill lung worms and others don't. 🙃

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dectomax is in the ivermectin family.... and is a safe wormer. Agree with @Mini Horses , use it and get some of the worms gone. If you are seeing white worms, they are most likely tape worms and the effect will not be as complete. My preferred wormer for goats per a neighbor that has had meat goats for years, and for the sheep is Prohibit.... followed by a dose of valbazen as the next one. Our biggest problem here is barber pole worms. They can become immune to some of the wormers if not rotated around.
If you don't do something the worms will kill the goats.
Get on the internet and research goat parasites and what wormers work for which ones. And try to breed for animals that do not seem to have worm loads that need treating..... some animals can with stand more worms than others and not get sick or weak... some seem to be able to fight off worms. Breed for resistance....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you use valbazen, watch dates if any are freshly bred does. It can sometimes cause problems at certain stages of pregnancy.

Latest posts