Diarrhea in bottle lamb... Scours?

KWhitted

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bottle lamb, six days old still has creamy poo. Yellow/brown and sweet smelling. He weighted 8 pounds at birth. Eating well from bottle. About 28 ounces a day. Sleeping through the night as well. I did notice little flakes almost like hay shreds in his poo. Maybe he actually ate some of the alfalfa i put out for the mommas. ? Ive been taking him outside to roam with momma and the other babies during the day. I supervise as the momma just throws him around. He has gotten to where he runs away when she comes near. He enjoys playing with the other two lambs though.

Im using the Mana Pro lam milk replacer and following instructions on the bag. Im just hoping this isn't scours. If so, can my vet help?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first poop the lamb makes should be black. After that the color will be bright yellow and it can be very sticky stuff. It may stick to the lamb's tail and legs. Watch out that the tail doesn't get "glued" to its behind, or the lamb won't be able to get its poop out. You can clean its behind with a cloth and warm water.

Another article states that creamy, yellow poop should only last a week when nursing mama....don't know if it would last a little longer being bottle fed.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds totally normal. The poop of lambs on milk replacer is often a bit looser than you we like, but some lambs feeding from mum have very loose poop, too. He'll start mouthing solid food at a very young age, though probably won't actually eat much of it for a few weeks.

KWhitted

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. Im just really nervous about him getting sick I guess. He is currently teething I guess also. Chewing on everything. I didn't think I'd be changing diapers and making bottles for at least another six years. My oldest son is 17 so i thought I had at least that much time to prepare for little ones. LOL

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
KWitted......just wait until he is a few weeks old and he will pull the bottle out of your hand or the teat clean out of the bottle on coming for his milk. Very different from feeding the human infant!:D =D

Latest posts