Diarrhea in cow?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've noticed the past two days that Sheila appears to have really sloppy, loose flops. She's eating well and acting normal.

We are trying to supplement their hay and grazing (very little grazing yet) with other things...we've so far tried soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets (about .75 pounds pulp with 1/8 coffee can full of pellets), and a little grain. We didn't give them the supplement Tuesday, but I did on Wednesday, and noticed she was already a little poopy at that time.

Is there anything I should be watching/doing about this?

Thanks!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, definitely much wider than tall...but there have been some smaller splats, too, like she's not doing it all at once.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me too, especially if she is just starting to graze green stuff it will get looser. Nothing to worry about.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
wow i had the same thing happen to me. well my cow reba. sara-lu is still the same. nice ploppies, but reba has like milk shake poop? i have been measuing her feed, give alittle hay, 6 feed pellts as for training treats, and now i'm trying pro-bios.? i just wormed them too. i hate that she has poop always on her tail. anything else that i can try? To firm the poop.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I took the camera with me to the barn this morning. So, get ready for some poo pics! I want to show how cow poo can very and see if this is what you guys have going on or if it's something more.

The first two are cows that have been in milking and getting the same forage (baled hay and newly opened silo of hayledge) to eat. Flower gets 1/4 scoop more grain than Hannah but, grain in a milk cow is figured by how much milk they are getting.

Hannah's:
Hannah.jpg

Flowers, on the matt under her, if it were on the grate like Hannah's it would have went through:
Flower.jpg

Here is Camouflage who just came in from the heifer pasture and has been on baled hay and lick tub with free-choice mineral feeder.
Camouflage-justinfromheiferpasture.jpg

Now, that you have some comparisons do you still have a concern with your cows?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, she will. I just wanted to show how the different feeds can affect cows. And how different cows react to the same feeds (the first 2).

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes thats a good idea to show people what the differant patties look like.