1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Growing horn pain/itching?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Diatomaceous Earth (DE)

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by Cricket, Jan 6, 2013.

1. May 21, 2016
    MrsKuhn

MrsKuhn Loving the herd life

2. May 21, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

You have to be careful with lime as when wet it can burn (if you get the wrong type). Lime "sweetens" the soil by bringing up the PH of acidic soils. It's not really the acidity of the urine that causes the issues... I mean you're not going to be planting a garden in their shelter... It's the ammonia smell that is most offensive, and the most problem with regard to respiratory issues. So the PDZ will really solve the true "issue" better than the lime.

MrsKuhn likes this.
  3. May 26, 2016
    sadieml

sadieml True BYH Addict

@MrsKuhn - The DE you referenced is NOT food grade, it says "Food Chemical Codex Grade". It is safe for in animal feed, technically, and can even be used to treat for fleas, but it is not preferable. I would not want to inhale this, even though it is "pharmaceutical" grade. You know, the FDA doesn't care for our babies like we do. I know "food grade" costs twice as much, but it really is worth it for the peace of mind. You can be certain that, in moderation, it is safe to inhale, and will NOT be harmful. As poor as we are, I use the "pharma" grade for dusting around my house against bugs, but would not want to risk my, my family's or our aminals' well-being with anything less than food grade. :)

MrsKuhn likes this.
  4. May 27, 2016
    MrsKuhn

MrsKuhn Loving the herd life

Thank you @sadieml we ended up purchasing the 50 pound Perma-Guard :D

5. May 12, 2017
    Prairie Fleur

Prairie Fleur Chillin' with the herd

How much did you use for your horses? Do you use conventional wormers as well?

6. May 14, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I use Ivermectin in the early spring, before dung beetle activity and in the fall, after dung beetle activity ceases.

7. May 14, 2017
    farmerjan

farmerjan Loving the herd life

We use DE in our cattle and chicken feed and our free choice mineral mixes, and it does keep the worm situation much more manageable. The feed mill makes our feed and we buy it by the ton since we are a fairly big cattle operation. We use 150 lbs PER TON of feed so I think you are using alot in comparison. I also use it in a dust box mixed with wood ashes. Have dusted it on animals that have lice like the cattle often get in the spring about the time they shed.
    I have also seen a big reduction in flies once the cattle have ingested it and it passes into the manure and the flies that lay eggs in the manure, the larvae that do hatch die off. Of course free range chickens will scratch those piles and make them less attractive to egg laying flies and they will eat any hatched larvae before they mature into flies also.

Agricultural lime is good for using in stalls etc for control of smell by neutralizing the acidity of the urine. It will not hurt the compost pile or the garden. Do not use lime that is for mixing in cement and such.

Hens and Roos likes this.