Did Corid kill this kit?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello!
I have yet another question about Corid...
After the Cocci outbreak I had in July, I kept my rabbits on Corid for 2 weeks, then started the 5 days on, 5 days off preventative treatment with 3/4 tsp per gallon.
During the first 5 days off I lost a kit who was showing symptoms of cocci. So I decided to do the regular 5 days on/off for my rabbits 8 weeks and older, and to keep my babies younger than 8 weeks on Corid all the time. I lost a kit yesterday who had rapid weight loss...he was fine the day before but yesterday was skin and bones. Is it possible that the Corid could have killed him?
He showed no symptoms of cocci, he was so healthy until yesterday. He's been on Corid since he was 3 weeks old and was 5 weeks old when he died.
All the other kits he was with seem just fine, no issues with them.
Is that a possibility?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any time I give any of my animals any meds., I do give the probiotics in their water....meds upset the digestive system...got to get it rebalanced., so yes you can add it to their water with the corrid.
I have no idea why your little bunny died....could of been just about any reason....dehydration from the heat ?
As long as they are not consistently dropping dead, I guess you won't know :idunno

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any time I give any of my animals any meds., I do give the probiotics in their water....meds upset the digestive system...got to get it rebalanced., so yes you can add it to their water with the corrid.
I have no idea why your little bunny died....could of been just about any reason....dehydration from the heat ?
As long as they are not consistently dropping dead, I guess you won't know :idunno
I'll get some more probiotics tomorrow at TSC.
I've only had one other kit die like that...just lost all its weight in a matter of 1 day. Strange...but the last one happened in the spring when it was cool outside. So not sure if it was the heat or not :idunno

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll get some more probiotics tomorrow at TSC.
I've only had one other kit die like that...just lost all its weight in a matter of 1 day. Strange...but the last one happened in the spring when it was cool outside. So not sure if it was the heat or not :idunno

I've had cases where where a baby just fails to thrive and his litter mates outpace him and push the weak one away from the food. Was he on the runty side? How old was it?

I have also observed that in large litters (more kits than nips), even if there are no obvious runts to begin with, if one or two of the kits don't get as much colostrum as the others they will fade later on or have more delicate constitutions later in life.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had cases where where a baby just fails to thrive and his litter mates outpace him and push the weak one away from the food. Was he on the runty side? How old was it?

I have also observed that in large litters (more kits than nips), even if there are no obvious runts to begin with, if one or two of the kits don't get as much colostrum as the others they will fade later on or have more delicate constitutions later in life.
He was not runty at all! He was actually the biggest in the litter and the most spunky. He was 5 weeks old and he came from a litter of 4...the runt didn't make it in that litter, it died at 2 weeks.