Did Corid kill this kit?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe...
I did start them on a new food while they were on Corid. I switched from Kalmbach to Purina Complete.
But they were just starting to eat solid food when I switched brands and they've been eating this food for almost 3 weeks now.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would continue with whatever you have left of your corrid cycle and add probiotics. If heat is an issue, maybe add electrolytes too.

When It got really hot here all my rabbits started eating less and a few got pretty lean looking. When I started giving bits of banana and watermelon as treats everyone seemed to perk back up and start eating more of their feed.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would continue with whatever you have left of your corrid cycle and add probiotics. If heat is an issue, maybe add electrolytes too.

When It got really hot here all my rabbits started eating less and a few got pretty lean looking. When I started giving bits of banana and watermelon as treats everyone seemed to perk back up and start eating more of their feed.
That's a good idea! Can kits under 8 weeks old eat banana? I know watermelon would be a big no!

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's a good idea! Can kits under 8 weeks old eat banana? I know watermelon would be a big no!

Maybe not if their mother was not eating it. I feed my does a diverse diet and their kits just eat whatever I feed her. I've never had any problems. If does eat a diverse diet while pregnant and nursing, the kits generally don't have many issues with a diverse diet.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, find out when your city treats their water. They usually keep a regular schedule. I figured out the hard way that my rabbits did not handle freshly treated city water well... Either they would drink it and get sick or die, or they wouldn't drink it at all for the first three days after treatment and that was a problem too, especially in hot weather. I have to store water to give them for the first four days after water treatment day.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that you lost your kit. I don't have any answers or reasons why. I know your rabbits get the best of care. Sometimes it seems no matter what we do, we lose our babies.

Why can't rabbits have watermelon?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that you lost your kit. I don't have any answers or reasons why. I know your rabbits get the best of care. Sometimes it seems no matter what we do, we lose our babies.

Why can't rabbits have watermelon?
Such a bummer....the other 3 kits in the weaning cage are looking a little weak today. The 2 I plan on selling seem a little lethargic but the blue girl I want to keep is losing weight like the one that died :(
I went to TSC today and they only had one 3-pack left of the Sav a Chick and it expired 2 years ago.
So I got Rooster Booster powder that has probiotics, electrolytes and vitamins in it....i'm hoping that helps with these kits. I added it to all the gallons of water and I syringe-fed the babies in question with lots of it :fl

I assumed that the high water content in watermelon would cause diarrhea in kits...but it makes sense that if they were raised on it, it wouldn't cause any issues. My rabbits hate fruits/veggies...I bought bananas for them today like @GypsyG mentioned and none of them will eat it :idunno

Latest posts