Did I make a mistake?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I just put a deposit down on 2 lamanchas does that may or may not be bred. We can't tell yet. If they are they won't be due until end of July/first week of August. One has tested positive for CAE. The owner made it seem like it's not a problem if you pull the kids at birth, although I had thought I'd go for a more natural approach, but I suppose we can work with that. I don't plan on breeding the one that's positive anyway, she can just be there to keep the other one company. But now that I've done more reading and have come to learn that it can be contagious through the water bucket and transfer of other bodily fluids I'm second guessing myself. They appear otherwise healthy and very friendly. Other breeders I've talked to act like it's not a big deal and they have goats that live to ripe old age with the disease. Am I just over thinking this and just take any problems as they come down the road since CAE is becoming so common in dairy goats?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh yeah, these are my first goats as well. So what do I know! Big fat nothin' other than the books I've read and research I've done online. :rolleyes:

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just recently tested my first 3 original goats for CAE because when I got them they hadn't been tested. I was a wreck waiting for the test results. I personally will not have a goat with CAE in my herd.

Why do you want a goat with CAE, especially when they're so many others without it?

Don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even get your goats :hide Start out your herd with healthy goats.

It's great that your educating yourself! :)

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bheila said:
I just recently tested my first 3 original goats for CAE because when I got them they hadn't been tested. I was a wreck waiting for the test results. I personally will not have a goat with CAE in my herd.

Why do you want a goat with CAE, especially when they're so many others without it?

Don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even get your goats :hide Start out your herd with healthy goats.

It's great that your educating yourself! :)
Smart advise !! Do not pay good money for an animal with problems as you will not enjoy your animals. A goat with CAE is not something you want let alone start out your herd with this problem.... find some other goats and do not bring these home... you will be better off and happier !!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kute Kitten said:
What does CAE stand for?
CAPRINE ARTHRITIS ENCEPHALITIS. This is a disease that is transferred by milk or by fluids. This means that if your doe has CAE, you cannot allow her kids to be nursed by her or even allow her to lick and clean the kids. Even sneezing can transfer the infection.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I agree with the rest. Don't bring diseases onto your property. You are only asking for trouble. Hopefully they will refund your deposit or allow you to pick another doe that is CAE free.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You all confirmed what I was already thinking. Hard lesson learned... I left a message with the owners that I'm backing out of the deal. I'm pretty sad about it. I'm probably out $80 but better that than years of trouble. It's for the best. I'll keep looking...

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
chandasue said:
Thanks everyone. You all confirmed what I was already thinking. Hard lesson learned... I left a message with the owners that I'm backing out of the deal. I'm pretty sad about it. I'm probably out $80 but better that than years of trouble. It's for the best. I'll keep looking...
GREAT you are doing the right thing !!