Did our goat break her leg??

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A few days ago we saw that our milking doe wasn't quite walking strait she had a bit of a limp on her back left leg but nothing to serious. But this morning I noticed it got worse and now she won't put much weight on it at all. It makes it very hard for us to milk her. We checked her hoof and it is not that and no obvious injuries to it. It feels a bit warm a bit above her dewclaws but on the front of her back leg. It is also a ting bit swollen. Is it broken? We have had so many goats try to kill themselves this week. :rolleyes:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few days ago we saw that our milking doe wasn't quite walking strait she had a bit of a limp on her back left leg but nothing to serious. But this morning I noticed it got worse and now she won't put much weight on it at all. It makes it very hard for us to milk her. We checked her hoof and it is not that and no obvious injuries to it. It feels a bit warm a bit above her dewclaws but on the front of her back leg. It is also a ting bit swollen. Is it broken? We have had so many goats try to kill themselves this week. :rolleyes:

Is the bone still the correct shape? If so, then if it is a break, it will heal correctly. It can also be a bad bruise, or a sprain.

Also, there could be a tiny nail hole in her hoof, or between the toes, that is wicking up infection that is then taking root above her hoof.

So... she needs a very slow and careful evaluation of that entire hind end and leg top to bottom. You might want to soak all dirt off of the hoof, and trim it, so you can see it clearly.

Feel for where warmth starts and stops, as well as swelling.

Take her temperature.

If she is a white goat you can draw on her, marking the end of the heat or swelling, so you can more easily see if it is worse or better in the morning.

But... no matter what you find... you probably need to set her up so she can have minimal walking to feed and water. Make sure bullies are penned away from her.

She would probably benefit from any supportive care you can give her. So, a bit better nutrition when you milk her. I like kelp meal, and multiple vitamin B paste.

Latest posts