Didn't Plan to Breed Yet

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My bull found the only way out of his pen and joined the girls. He is barely a year old but since he is a Dexter, I am told he is old enough to breed. I was alone at the time and although I got him back in the pen once, by the time I got back with the staples and hammer to fix the weak spot, he was back out again. Could not convince him to go in again so I settled for getting the young heifer into the bull pen and out of harm's way. There is only one cow I think is small enough for him to mount and she is definitely old enough to breed. Any suggestions...should I just let nature take it's course? Remind me why it was I wanted cows anyway!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
If you want them to breed, let them breed. If not, separate him again and give the cow lutalyse just in case she was bred.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you're sure that the cow was indeed bred, you will need to wait at least a month to abort her. I'd wait 3 weeks or so, and see if she comes back in heat again. If she does, you don't need the lutalyse at all. Lutalyse will not work immediately after the cow is bred. The embryo needs to be implanted onto the uterus before the lute will work.