Difference in "feel" between mastitis and congestion of the udder.

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I need a VERY basic explanation as I have never milked a goat before until last night. My FF who just has twins has one side of her udder that has either mastitis or congestion of the udder. I milked her out on that side the best I could last night. (I have Boers and didn't think I didn't to learn how to milk a goat...)

Can any one tell me my "feel" what I should be feeling in either case.

Thanks
Kim

P.S. Just in case I have my husband going to get "today" and a goat mentor is coming over today.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with it but I would think mastitis would maybe be very warm to the touch and congestion wouldn't. But I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience will come on.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Congestion will just be hard and lumpy, no extra heat, and the milk - if you can get any out, will be normal. As it resolves, there might be little 'clots' in the milk which are the plugs that caused the congestion in the first place. These can be difficult to get through the teat.

Mastitis is hot, the milk will likely have blood or strings in it. A CMT (california mastitis test) is a good thing to have on hand to check for mastitis. The only mastitis that isn't hot is gangene, and will be cold and balmy.