Difference in pooping places?

CarnivalOfTheAnimals

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Having just gotten our rabbits less than two weeks ago, I've noticed that one doe poops in her cage exclusively (it falls through to the floor beneath) and never in her nesting box. The other doe and the buck poop exclusively in their nesting boxes.

Any guesses as to their reasons or whether I should try to discourage the two from using their nesting boxes as toilets?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to see you posting! Welcome! What breed of rabbit do you have?

Regarding the doe pooping in her nest box... you may have put it in the corner she decided was her bathroom. Try moving the nest box to the other side of her cage.

Are both does pregnant and soon to deliver? The does do not need a nest box unless they are ready to deliver. A buck does not need a nest box so I'd remove it.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The other doe and the buck poop exclusively in their nesting boxes.
Why does the buck even have a nesting box? He doesn't need one. Unless the does are goig to kindle they don't need nesting boxes either. Remove them. Then watch to see where the poo pellets fall under their cages. Rabbits identify a potty spot in their cages and that is where they will potty all the time. It is why people claim they can house break rabbits into a cat litter box. Once you identify the spot in the cage where your rabbits like to potty, never put their nest boxes in that spot. The only times I have had rabbits potty in nest boxes is when I accidentally put the nest box in the potty spot in her cage. I never put nest boxes in with does more than 3 days prior to kindling date and I remove them when the kits are 3 weeks old.