Different castration methods

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As my does are most likely pregnant and I will eat the buck kids (only selling tricolor and the best of the best), I would like to castrate at around 10 weeks to avoid a “Bucky” flavor in the meat. My question is how. Burdizzo, bander, vet visit? I’m comfortable doing it myself, and have seen it done on numerous occasions with varied methods. I would like to hear other’s experiences on this matter if possible.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've done bands and burdizzo. Prefer bands. Yes they scream...it isn't comfy! But the bands are faster for me, seem to numb reasonably for kid....I like the bag to come off. Burdizzo shrinks, slowly.

Be sure both are pulled thru before releasing band.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I quit castrating and just take ‘em to auction. But my son in law requested lamb, so I’ll castrate one or two and feed them out for the freezer.

I prefer to cut them at 1-2 weeks old. They run back to momma for a suck, get comforted and it’s basically over.

I don’t have a bander , but borrowed one for a ram lamb I wanted to wether. It was ok, especially for older lambs.

Why are you waiting until 10 weeks if you are basing sales on color and conformation?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, yeah -- I don't castrate if selling! Take em unaltered. BUT will if for any reason I keep, or buyer asks. May do one this yr to grow out for freezer?

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I quit castrating and just take ‘em to auction. But my son in law requested lamb, so I’ll castrate one or two and feed them out for the freezer.

I prefer to cut them at 1-2 weeks old. They run back to momma for a suck, get comforted and it’s basically over.

I don’t have a bander , but borrowed one for a ram lamb I wanted to wether. It was ok, especially for older lambs.

Why are you waiting until 10 weeks if you are basing sales on color and conformation?
Those with best color and conformation I will sell unaltered, not castrated (so as to improve the breed rather than sell less than competent breeders)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I greatly dislike banding... i think the kids cried more and for longer. Also... the sack dying and falling off... i didnt like.

Cutting is so much faster and better. Only tool needed is a sharp knife. Kid is upset while you do it, then no issues at all.

We usually did it at 6 to 8 weeks... 10 would be fine too.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One other thing to think about. If there are many sheep and goats in your area, and the sales (auctions) have a good trade, you will want to consider selling them all intact. The ethnic market for meat often requires them to be intact for religious purposes. It is not worth the hassle if you are going to be banding one or 2 and leaving 1 or 2 intact. If you are going to be eating them all then it is personal taste preference.
We do not find any real difference in the sheep in flavor banded or intact if killed before 6 months. Don't have goats so cannot say.
We band when we want them to be done. And do it as young as possible.

Latest posts