Digging in the run

rabbitlady4433

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a pair of rabbits that live in a huge condo with a huge run attached to the front. Originally there was only a brick pathway at the gate for me to sit on when playing with them. The rest was grass. Digging had not been a problem until recently, the weather here is unusually hot. I don't have a lot of money to spend to buy more wire to bury under the grass, but I have alot of slate stone laying around, (rather beautiful stuff, just never had a plan for it) Would it be safe for the rabbits if I layed this stuff in the same way I did the brick? Would be layed like a pathway with bout and inch between each stone for grass/clover to grow. Just curious. Will try to post pics of the set up later.

a7736100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 3 that I trust out of cage. They dig not to escape but to cool off lying in the depression.

Of course I had others that dug under the fence and didn't return.

Using slate stones should work. You might try placing one in the freezer and see if the rabbit will lie on it to get cool.

rabbitlady4433

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I give my rabbits frozen liter or gallon apple juice jugs in the hot weather they love them, I do put them in cheesecloth pillowcases I made for the jugs or they'll chew the plastic instead of the apple branches. They just dig a deeper hole and drag the jugs inside. I will try the stones in the freezer tho, they might like that better.