Dippity Pig?

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have two farms, one is a hobby farm and one is a homestead basically. When we buy animals for either farm everyone gets quarantined, and we treat for worms and everything right away on both farms. This particular pig has been at our hobby farm for a few months after she farrowed so she could put on a healthy amount of weight before bringing her here. (we bought her from a friend who we don't think ever fed her well enough nor ever wormed her. So she was in quarantine all this time and finally looked good enough the last month or so that we decided today to move her. ) Catching her went super smooth we opened her room up and opened the cage and put food in her cage and she walked right in and we closed the door. Alos we didn't transport her in a truck we transported her inner rv which we were bringing from the hobby farm to the ranch this morning. So basically her stress levels should have been pretty low considering she was transported in basically a living room atmosphere. When we arrived at the ranch about two hours later she had weeping sores all over her back. Ive read that we now know dip pity comes from stress but we did everything we could to keep her from getting stressed at all. So now we are quarantining her all over again and I sprayed her back with BLU-KOTE to ease the pain and keep it from getting infected. What else can we do for her besides keeping her quarantine room dark and quiet?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never heard of it, I looked it up.

My question is, since it is a virus, does the pig retain the virus and become a carrier, able to shed the virus and sicken other pigs? If that is affirmative, then no amount of quarantine will keep the rest of your pigs safe.

I am sorry that she is going through this painful condition. I know you care deeply for your animals.

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I never heard of it, I looked it up.

My question is, since it is a virus, does the pig retain the virus and become a carrier, able to shed the virus and sicken other pigs? If that is affirmative, then no amount of quarantine will keep the rest of your pigs safe.

I am sorry that she is going through this painful condition. I know you care deeply for your animals.
From what our vet says its not a virus and they have never been able to link it to anything other than an RNA subtype stream of DNA meaning its a gene that some pigs carry so they get stressed once in a while and it clears up when the stress goes away or other pigs which carry the stress gene for generations and get sick easily and repeatedly with it. Unfortunately it has been linked to so many other illnesses because the stress weakens their immune system so much they become susceptible to small bacteria that their bodies would normally fight off without even trying. Now evidently its known for coming from change of some sort, change in surroundings or climate, change in housemates, being transported etc. Dippity pig can get very serious if not tackled quickly and unfortunately until recently doctors had no idea it was its own thing because it came with, was caused by or in effect ended up causing some other sickness to invade the pigs body due to the weakened immune system.
We also learned today that IF dippity pig is just and only dippity pig by itself with no accompanying sickness that it comes on in a matter of minutes and within a half hour the pig can develop weeping sores along the top of her back but if treated quickly by isolating the pig in a quiet, calm dark environment(even with soft music we were told) that it will go away just as fast. They look like blisters from a sunburn sorta only with dripping puss. And yes that article you linked was right about many doctors not knowing much about it because so few specialize in pigs and also that commercial size pigs rarely develop dippity because they don't live long enough. Here in California pet pigs are all the rage so you know hollywood has spent money on their babies and figured out some answers for us pig folks.
We parked our rv next to the pig houses and can see her from where Im sitting as I typed this, my windows are open so I can even hear her if she makes a peep in the night.Im gonna sleep here in the rv tonight instead of going inside just so I can walk over and check on her without waking the whole house(we have bloodhounds mind you so that could get loud) Keeping a close eye on her. Gave her benadryl to keep the itch down as her skin heals it may itch. Sprayed her down with blu-kote after her bath and gave her plenty of soft bedding. Other than looking a bit purple from the blu kote she is looking chipper and fine. She ate her entire dinner and looks good so far keep your fingers crossed for me.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Geeesh -- new one on me. A learning experience. It's a little weird, actually. Hope she will heal quickly....I mean, soft music, room service, special room -- OK, I'd feel better!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it's genetic, are you likely to want to breed this pig or is she strictly for eating later on?

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If it's genetic, are you likely to want to breed this pig or is she strictly for eating later on?
We breed both meat type pigs & pet type breeds however the pig in question is a juliana so she's a pet breed. We bought her in order to breed her but no, now that I've seen how easily she stresses out I certainly don't want to pass on those genes. We will probably end up selling her as a pet with instructions regarding her condition.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have two farms, one is a hobby farm and one is a homestead basically. When we buy animals for either farm everyone gets quarantined, and we treat for worms and everything right away on both farms. This particular pig has been at our hobby farm for a few months after she farrowed so she could put on a healthy amount of weight before bringing her here. (we bought her from a friend who we don't think ever fed her well enough nor ever wormed her. So she was in quarantine all this time and finally looked good enough the last month or so that we decided today to move her. ) Catching her went super smooth we opened her room up and opened the cage and put food in her cage and she walked right in and we closed the door. Alos we didn't transport her in a truck we transported her inner rv which we were bringing from the hobby farm to the ranch this morning. So basically her stress levels should have been pretty low considering she was transported in basically a living room atmosphere. When we arrived at the ranch about two hours later she had weeping sores all over her back. Ive read that we now know dip pity comes from stress but we did everything we could to keep her from getting stressed at all. So now we are quarantining her all over again and I sprayed her back with BLU-KOTE to ease the pain and keep it from getting infected. What else can we do for her besides keeping her quarantine room dark and quiet?
I would do the same. If you're really not sure. I will keep her quarantined till i know its safe.