Disappeared newborn Nigerian Dwarf?

Kelm

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, all!

First post... Been reading for a year now 😃

Something very strange happened last night...

Yesterday morning, my darling had her 1st babies 💕 twins! A buckling/doeling.

I put everyone to bed in the barn last night. She was in a secure pen, just her and babies.

Barn is a metal building on a concrete pad. Sliding doors with a 1" gap between when closed and locked. Half is shop. Half is barn.

This morning there is only one baby!!

I've looked everywhere. Even turned the bedding. Looked under and in her hay. Fencing/gates have maybe 1/2 inch clearance off the floor.

In the "open" area are the rest of the goats, four hens, a jersey calf and a six months kitty.

I can't find the baby. Can't hear it. Can't find a body.

I'm stumped 🤔

Would the cat eat the whole thing?! They were the same size. He's never bothered even chicks. I think I'd at least find remains?

Never seen rats, droppings or even a mouse lol

Any ideas?

I'm bringing them into the garage tonight. She won't be happy, but... Hopefully I'll have a baby in the morning. In southern Missouri, if that helps.

Thanks for reading!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I sure hope you find your baby. Baby goats will definitely hide. I remember looking for a pygmy baby that successfully hid behind a broom for hours! I hope that's the case with your baby. Nigerian babies are tiny. Are the walls of the pen solid or wire? I've seen baby goats easily walk through the 4 inch squares on horse panels.

I doubt it would be the cat. I don't think mom would have allowed that.

It sure sounds like your place is secure from most animal predators. Is it possible that a two-legged thief might be at work?

Kelm

Just born
Reaction score
Her pen walls are 1 solid, the barn wall. 2 sides are actually gates. I think they're 1/2 inch squares? The 3rd side is hay bales.

Im going out to look again. For the 3rd time lol

Nobody knew I had babies except family. My kids & grandkids are hours away. I could definitely see my granddaughter sneaking one in her jacket 🤣 but she's not here.

I didn't want to think the cat would eat it.

I just figured he'd be making noise. Your story gives me hope! I'll go look again! Thanks for replying!

Kelm

Just born
Reaction score
I found him. He's not alive. He was hung up between bales. Completely my fault. I'll be moving mom & remaining baby. And redoing the hay wall adding chicken wire? Or just building a new kidding pen.

😭😭😭😢😢

Kelm

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of the baby. Solid walls is best for the first few days. We had a calf get between a few rolls of hay and could not find it and it never made a sound. Those little ones will crawl inbetween things and it is so hard to find them. Chicken wire can cause problems with them getting their little tiny feet hung up in. Skinny spaces vertically are easier for them to get into and through than skinny spaces horizontally. You are not the first to have something like this happen. It is sad but it is an accident.