Disbud Area Wet?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used an iron to disbud our whether kids and the first one we did who had the largest horn buds i checked out last night and where we disbudded looks wet and possibly gooey...does that mean we need to do it again? DH felt his little nubs he has left over but his head is sore it seems and he wouldnt hold still, the nubs move though.

I'm worried he somehow got an infection or that we didnt hold the iron on for long enough because his horns were bigger.

Any ideas? Should i burn him again? The other two kids look clean and dry and dont seem to care and their little numbs dont move at all.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like an infection. I would try putting iodine on the area. That should dry it out completely.
As for giving it another go I don't know.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry i didn't grab any pics. I can do iodine, i put bluekote on it last night. I was thinking to give him a shot of penicillin to help if it is an infection as well.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
About 5 days ago now. I would have preferred to do it when they were a week old but DH loaned out iron to someone else last year and they couldnt find where they put it so they ended up being done at around 2.5 weeks old.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pics would help a lot. I would be very reluctant to reburn just because there is moisture on the burn area. With dairy calves, they Very often have "moisture" over their burn sites for weeks as they heal from being disbudded. Just my experience, they seem to have a lot more of this problem then my dairy goats. However, I have had a few of my goats with moisture but did not reburn because I knew they had the full copper ring and we never ended with scurs. This really depends on how you did when you burned the first time. Only you can really tell. If you think it was done right, I would give it a few days and see (while taking temps and putting on iodine just in case).

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We put on iodine and gave him two doses and pen G just in case because he was already sold and the new owners were adamant about taking him with the other 2 they bought on Sunday as they live 3.5hrs away one way. He did look ok , the swelling had gone down, and the goo had dried up, he was eating well and playing so i think he is gonna be just fine. He is a whether that will be a pet along with the other two kids they got and will be spoiled rotten so i'm not to worried about him.

Thanks for your help anyhow.