Disbudding baby goat

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i have a little doeling that I'm gonna have disbuded tomorrow. She is two weeks old and on her mom. I was wondering if I should worry about taking the baby away from the mom for about 1 hour and 1/2 ?? Is there anything I can do to keep the mom relaxed. It won't take long and the mom doesn't really obsess about the Baby unless she crys.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You gotta do what you gotta do. Baby might cry, but it will be more about missing momma than about being disbudded. When you get her back home I'm sure all will go back to normal.

Reactions: TAH

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just make sure there is nothing that the momma doe will get tangled/stuck in while you are gone. It is best for if the kid can nurse right after disbudding, but if that cannot happen she should be okay.

We had someone drive 2 hours one way to get their two kids disbudded, we told her to bring the dam too. We know their herd/they have our goats.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I often take mine to a friend to have them done and once we are done visiting it can be upwards of 2 hours. All is well when we get home.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, she was disbudded and her mom barley noticed when I took her but when we brought her back and the baby cried and her momma was calling for her. Also we waited till we could start feeling her buds because she was Barely two pounds!! And she was a single! Plus it's what my Friend recommend since she was so small.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And she did really good when they disbudded her, and it hasn't bothered her once.

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got one of mine done yesterday. It was an hour and a half drive each way so I took the mom with me and put them together in a large dog carrier with hay in it and gave the little one some Fiasco Farms' Ow-Eze to help with the pain. They did great, once I covered the crate so they couldn't see how fast we were moving, they stopped bleating and we had a quiet drive in both directions. Once there, I let mom out on her lead nearby while baby got disbudded. As soon as it was done, baby was nursing immediately. No problems at all. He was only 5 days old and was a champ, but he is our new herd sire, so I expect him to be a champ, lol! Once home he was playing with his 2 week old cousin and running around like nothing had happened.