1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Growing horn pain/itching?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Disbudding

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by cteague, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Feb 4, 2017
    cteague

cteague Loving the herd life

Well lets just start out here...:hit. I knew it wasnt going to be pleasant. But i didnt know they was gonna cry so much after. One of them is all we got done. The little girl was not long enough to fit in the box we ordered. He doesnt want me to catch him now. And he cries and he went and laid down. And cries more. Did we do something wrong? It was cooper. So i hope not.

2. Feb 4, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

Any pics? Swelling? How long did you leave the iron on the head? What burner was used?

None of ours have done that.
    After 30 seconds they are running around acting like baby goats.
    We always give a "comfort" bottle (or let them nurse from their dam). They don't seem fazed by the burning at all. Obviously it hurts when it's actually happening, but they don't scream. Only time they cry is when we shave the nubs :rolleyes:
    I stay with them for a while to make sure everything is okay, and the bottle babies literally run up and bounce off of me.

Hoping your little one is okay :hugs
    Disbudding is rough, especially scary when it's your first time with no one to show you.

3. Feb 4, 2017
    cteague

He munched on a little hay. Then went and laid down. He tried to nurse but his mom wouldnt be still long enough. We did 7 seconds like the dehorner said. Wait a few minutes. Did the other side the same. Waited. Then did the second burn on each. I didnt think to take a picture. I will get one though. Hes doing the whole what what sound then yells. Then he laid down like he was sleepy. His sister laid with him. And he went to sleep.

4. Feb 4, 2017
    cteague

I hope we didnt kill him:hit. We got the copper ring and stopped.

5. Feb 4, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Do you have a vet that could give you some anti-inflammatory meds? Something like dex or banamine?

:hugs

6. Feb 4, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Did you ice the head?

7. Feb 4, 2017
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    Hugs. I hope all is ok with your little guy.

cteague likes this.
  8. Feb 4, 2017
    ragdollcatlady

ragdollcatlady True BYH Addict

Some do get more stressed than others.

If you can get an anti inflammatory, I would. I give banamine when I do our kids. Ice helps....at least I feel like it cools the head down faster. By ice, I mean a pack of frozen peas, held to the spot for a few seconds.

Hope he is OK.:hugs

cteague likes this.
  9. Feb 4, 2017
    cteague

I tried ice but he wouldnt have it. But i had a piece of ice. Daniel has kept an eye on him today. I had to "sleep" (not very well) for work. He said he came out in the pen. And he wasnt laying down like he was. So i hope he will be better soon. I dont know what to do about the little girl. May take her to the vet or try and find someone to come and help. We tried putting her in the box but her body is to short to fit it. We put a towel in the bottom to try and get her closer to the opening but we couldnt close the lid. And if we had it would have strangled her. I wish some of u were closer.

10. Feb 4, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

I just hold ours in my lap when we do ours
    Maurine works the iron

cteague likes this.