Disgusting Smell from Hooves

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This isn't about Max, thank God, but there is another horse that I've "taken under my wing" if you will.

She is used as a play-date horse, but isn't cared for daily from what I can tell. I've started pampering her as she is an elderly horse and has a slight cough.

I've been brushing her and her coat is shining, but today I decided to attempt to clean her hooves.

She lifted and at first I couldn't tell where her frog was at all. I just kind of guessed and wound up hitting it dead on. I felt for the crevices and it wound up the crevices were so packed up with dirt/mud/grass that it took me 5 minutes to clean out one hoof. The frog seems to be somewhat "gooey" and is flaking off in some spots. I could have pulled some of the top layers off but figured I better not attempt it since I didn't know how accustomed she was to having her feet worked on.

On some of her hooves, I noticed that she had flaky white underneath this black. The black smelled somewhat bad, until I got to her right front. OMG. It smelled like rotten egg.

What on earth is that? I'm going to be telling the property owners ASAP so they can tell her owners. I don't think her hooves had been looked at in 6 months or more. The terrain is pretty rocky, so they're not really overgrown, but still longer than I'd want on my own horse.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I realize I probably shouldn't have done anything, but she looked uncomfortable on her feet. When I cleaned them out, she was actually trotting around.

Any other ideas? Will the air getting to the sides of the frog and sole of the hoof help?

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ahh yes, the aroma of Thrush in a hoof. NOTHING quite like that smell, which sticks with you, on your hands and clothes, for a long time.

They sell Thrush-X, a copper based treatment for clearing up Thrush in hooves. Just apply it to the bottom of the hoof, frog, crevices. You probably want rubber gloves, maybe an old paintbrush to get it deeply in any cracks for fixing the horse. These treatments will stain your clothing green forever, along with your skin. SO BE CAREFUL applying it.

Thrush usually happens with dirty hooves, older horse doesn't run to self-clean. Wetter days with mud, promote the fungus growth in deep parts of hoof.

Sounds like the old mare should be grateful you took a look, before she got REALLY bad Thrush going. Thanks from me for taking the time to check her out!

Treatment with meds needs to be regular according to the label on it. Once a week probably won't be much help. She may even get lame on the stinky foot, if it doesn't get cleared up soon.

Do a search on Thrush in Horses, lots of sites will come up for more information. We see and hear about more cases when weather is very wet and muddy. Hooves stay wet, let the fungus get started. Dirty stalls can also be a cause of thrush, when horses don't get outside much.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm more than willing to clean her hooves out and stuff, as long as the owners pay for the supplies. I have no issues just playing around with another horse. Lord knows I can't ride the poor thing...she's maybe 13 hands? Tiny little gal.

Luckily, I've already got some Thrush-X from when the farrier wanted me to use it on Max's bacterial infection on the outer wall of his front hooves.

Thanks for the help...it was just SO gross. Will the flaky frog go away with the application or do I need to do something special to that too?

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
he new frog will grow in and replace the old part. When the farrier comes, he may be able to pare some of it away.

Distilled Vinegar OR diluted bleach are home remedies that will work too

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Frogs and hooves not tended regularly, will start shedding or slough (pronounced sluff) off in flakes, layers or sometimes chunks. A whole frog or chunk of wall coming off is not that uncommon if Farrier has not been trimming off the raggedy edges. Horse is not usually in any pain from the shedding of parts.

Running on rough ground, exercising, usually takes care of these issues. Does mare get any exercise? At 13, she is just in her prime, should be an active horse in the field. Has she been possibly foundered on the rich grass and being overweight? Ponies do get foundered easily.

I wouldn't worry much about hooves being a bit long, thicker sole, out in the field care she has. Those can be protective with rocky footing. Many Farriers trim too short because that is what folks expect to see in a show ring setting. Length on a hoof, lets her wear it off, without causing pain to the inner hoof structures. Trims have names now, like "mustang roll" because wild horses wear hooves like that. You might tell the owners that pony needs a trim, when you say she has Thrush. Farrier with experience will see if she has any hidden problems when he trims her.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
goodhors, I have no idea how old she is...I'd guess around 20 years or so.

The 13 was her height, maybe 13 hands. She may even be smaller than that.

The only exercise that I've seen her get is on when a young girl was on her. That was about a week ago? The girl was a bit too large for her which is why I "think" they are trying to sell her.

I doubt they'll be able to sell her. She only direct reins, has the cough and now the hoof problems. She'd be a great little pony for someone. Such a sweet demeanor.

I never realized how much easier it is with ponies than full-size horses. I'm 2 feet taller than her at the shoulder and you can just kind of man-handle her. I haven't had to do anything to restrain her...I think she trusts me. I'm the only one she'll walk up to to be haltered.

I feel like such a sucker.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I like to give them a little run down the blacktop to clean them up every once in awhile, bare footed of course...especially after a good rain or the ground has been muddy for a few days..

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry, for some reason I got her size confused with her age!.

I would suggest taking pony for a walk on pavement, it will help dry and let any stuff in hoof fall out.

I would NEVER recommend going at any speed on hard surfaces without some kind of traction devices on shoes!! Having seen excited horses slip and fall, dancing about or going faster than a walk, pavement is NOT the best surface for quick gaits with your horse. Road Rash on both horses and people, from sliding along, or even just landing on hard surface, takes a while to clear up. Wounds are VERY painful, both before and after picking out the dirt and stones.

A suggestion if you feel like it, would be leading the pony around while riding Max thru the fields. "Ponying" is the term for leading an equine from a ridden horse. She would get the mileage of just walking around, helpful exercise for being plump will aid legs, hooves, digestion. It always amazes me how much just getting horses moving at a walk for some distance helps ALL the parts. You were probably already going for the ride, not much effort to halter and lead the pony along too.

I always lead them from my right side, keeping nose even with my knee, use a longer cotton rope to prevent rope burns if you get into a situation. NEVER let lead animal to get further ahead or behind the knee, so they can get in trouble with ridden horse. Most catch on to being ponied quickly, like doing it. Add a chain over the nose if she is pushy, gives extra control for stopping or endeavor to pull ahead. I do it a lot with young horses to see the world a bit, get exercised but too young to ride. Excellent for building strong legs and hooves going in long, straight lines. Max will enjoy having her along too.

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It sounds like thrush.

Sometimes horses get a little bit of it on untrimmed tissue and it's just superficial and doesn't cause much trouble.

But it can get so bad that it actually makes the foot deterioriate and rot. So it really depends on how bad it is.

If it's not too bad and is just superficial, you can just pick out the hoof and cut off the ragged tissue around the frog and it is fine.

If it's still a mild case, but getting into some of the grooves of the foot and frog, a common remedy like koppertox will do. It gets put on daily.

If it's eaten into the foot, and the foot is now sore and tender, then it needs more work. Usually a vet has to cut off the infected tissue and the foot kept dry and clean while it heals and grows new sound tissue. The horse might need antibiotics, hoof packed, kept in from turnout, feet washed and cleaned each day, etc.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
goodhors said:
I would NEVER recommend going at any speed on hard surfaces without some kind of traction devices on shoes!! Having seen excited horses slip and fall, dancing about or going faster than a walk, pavement is NOT the best surface for quick gaits with your horse. Road Rash on both horses and people, from sliding along, or even just landing on hard surface, takes a while to clear up. Wounds are VERY painful, both before and after picking out the dirt and stones..
shoes=slippery....barefooted=no slip...at least on blacktop...Don't be scared...

Latest posts