DIY Goat Sheds

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have three grown Boer goats that we want to keep in our 'outer' woods/pasture and need some ideas for building a sturdy lean to type goat proof shed/shelter for them. We had built a standard large wood garden type shed when they were in the inner 'pen', which they've managed to eat or break apart much of it.

Any ideas for something sturdy and tough, but just to get them out of the bad weather? Something they can't eat or break or rip or ruin? Hrmmm, cement/concrete comes to mind! HAHA. Just kidding.

HELP?? smile

Marci :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do a simple pole construction. 4 treated landscape timbers. Use 4 x 8 sheets of barn siding on it's side so it's 4' tall. Use galvanized roofing for simplicity and I like the look. 4 pieces.

Works out that I do not have to cut much of anyting

I face the open end to the South, and the closed end to the North. Anytime we have cold weather, wind blows from the North.

With all new materials it costs about $150. I can building in a day with minimal help from my wife.
8192_building_compressed_2.jpg

8192_building_compressed_4.jpg

8192_building_compressed_5.jpg

8192_building_compressed_3.jpg

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow that's looks great! I'll show it to my husband and see if he'll think about doing one just like it. Our woods look a lot like yours!

We are trying to figure a way to toss in some hay and their food into the shelter without going all the way into the area they are in, but rather be able to put it into the shed over the fence from the outside. Perhaps some kind of latched door type area against the fence that we can lift up or even latch up in the dog days of summer. I think that's doable with your design!

Thanks so much!!!

nelson castro

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It does really looks great! I would like to recommend you this site http://www.cheapsheds.com.au/sheds/ they do have a very imaginative way of using one simple thing to another just like an aviary being used as chicken coop. A quote from their site telling "An aviary is not just limited to being used as a home for birds. This can even be used as kennel for dogs or shelter for some other small animals."

How cool is that! :cool:

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A friend of mine stacks bales of straw and puts plywood across the top with a couple more bales on top to hold it down. Covers it with a tarp. It looks warm. :)

outlawfarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So far this works for three dairy goats. Also if they eat and chew shelter it could be u need a mineral block

5239_img_20130329_202821.jpg

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great ideas! Appreciate the input & the great pictures, folks!

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow I am impressed! That is SWEET!!!

We ended up moving the fence to include & enclose an old large chicken coop with a dirt floor that they can use as shelter for now. Eventually we'll probably have to build something bigger and sturdier tho.

The three goats and our 5 weeder geese all went inside it during a recent downpour and storm!