DIY Rabbit Cages

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's a different place? Not the one in WI? That is very expensive, but that is 100ft. I got 50ft and it is 24inch and I'm pretty sure I got the baby saver. Then you have to add shipping! This wire is super expensive. And it's specifically for rabbits. Why do they feel we need to have such costs? Probably because they don't want us having our own sources of meat production quietly in our city yards? Lol. So my poor doe that my daughter bred accidentally just had 12 kits. Three were dead when I checked cold. I fixed the nest box. There was alot of blood. I hope my doe is okay. Her kits are only like 45 days. You are supposed to wait 21days before breeding again right? My poor doe. I gave her some oats, Kale, spinach, and alfalfa. And I put alot of collidial silver in her water. She only wants greens right now. All the kits were black I think. She is black, but with the other buck there were three yellow with silver marbling. The other two does haven't pulled fur yet. The champagne, I'm not worried about she is great mother. The other doe is first time kindle. So I hope she can figure it out. She thinks she's in first class now, she's never been in the house. And she's using the litter box pretty good.
Sad to hear, hopefully it'll all work out. That's a manufacturer, wire is really getting expensive. I've found 2 that make in 14awg. Buy a pallet sell it in pcs by the foot. If I did that somebody would come up with a different system. Imagine shipping this to California.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Shipping anything is expensive. I shop on ebay alot to find good deals, but the shipping is terrible. The place in WI shipped it DHL but it is I think 3 hrs one way? I looked at it, cuz I thought about driving to get it. But when she told me 22.00, I was happy with that. I bought 2lbs of those stupid j clips too. Idk if they are small or what but I would use c clips instead. The j are a pain. I put a few on a kw cage I have.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What about that pvc covered wire? That's what the kw cage is. I think they sell it but I didn't get it cuz I didn't know if they could chew it. But I think it's softer on the hocks.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm in California, we don't have Rural King here. :(
All we have is Tractor Supply in Md. Closest rural king to me is 114 miles in Front Royal Va. Gotta go thru WashDc to get there. Have you looked at ebay for wire. Nobody cheap is showing up anywhere. Shipping to you from what I've found is a show stopper.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh wow at least you are cleaning your dash now! Lol
Thousands of out of work comedians..... 16117804740394657357647077279077.jpg

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you are going to complain about shipping, move to Alaska or Hawaii. Or go a step further and move to Guam, Am. Samoa, etc. Then you'll find out that many folks won't ship to a 'foreign country' and no more shipping problems because they won't ship to you at all.

Are there any West Coast wire manufacturers? Ocean freight is pretty inexpensive for shipping, it might be worthwhile to get a pallet full of wire and then use it to build hutches to sell. That would take it from wholesale to above retail rates.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know. There are people that sell hutches near st Louis, and in some more rural areas but it is very far from me. I checked. Plus I don't think they use the correct wire. I don't know how good business would be to sell hutches. I know the cheap ones suck. I don't know if I can make them on my own. Not a really great carpenter lol. Just recently started using power tools. Anyhow, here is my winterized hutches. Lol
I have a friend who works at a place that makes this insulation. It is some type of light weight spun plastic. It is waterproof. There are about 10 of these lightweight blankets over the cages. The cage on the left also has a foam mattress topper. Only one rabbit is alone, a big buck. They all have plenty of straw. Only two waters are freezing the ones closest to the ground. This is the west side of my garage. I tried the south side, but it doesn't get any sun! We have alot more cooler weather, than hot weather here. And I know my rabbits appreciate the sun on cool mornings. I need more cages right now. I have 3 does in the house. And 19 kits. One doe I can't figure it out she hasn't kindled yet. Maybe shes not pregnant but I don't know how, cause she was with the buck for close to 3 weeks. If she doesn't have babies within the next few days she is on the cull list. She was on the list before but figured I'd see if she was a good mom. I sold her sister, and her brother is one of my bucks, but I bred her with an unrelated buck, I just recently got which is why I never bred her before. I find it very interesting how some bucks and does can get along so well, but others don't.

Attachments

• 20210127_171830.jpg
    20210127_171830.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210127_171733.jpg
    20210127_171733.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 122