Do Females Have Tusks?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your gilts aren't going to have true tusks like a boar but as they age their teeth will get a bit longer and your dominant one will chomp like a boar does. If they are freezer bound then chances are they won't get over 250lbs before it is processing time.
If you are wanting to gentle them, strap a dog harness (*or horse halter which can double as a harness) on them and walk them on a lead rope or a leash. Hold on tight because at first they will jump, twist, pull and throw a fit. Pigs are smart and will get use to it in a few days, the more you have your hands on them the tamer they become.

I picked up a three day old spot gilt that another farmer was going to knock in the head because her momma had thrown a fit after getting her leg caught in a crate and killed the rest of the litter while breaking three of her own legs. I didn't see a thing wrong with the little gilt, took her home and raised her. She became halter broke and ran around the farm with my dogs. She is now 350lbs and is a spoiled as can be. I have her bred to my hamp boar and continue to let her out when I am working around the barn in the evening. She wanders but always comes when I call her name or whistle.

Spend time with your hogs and you won't have a thing to worry about.

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got them.They are both females, so I was told they would just have sharp and biggish canines.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Those will probably be their needle teeth aka 'wolf teeth', they are nothing to worry about.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I once had a boar attack me. Wound up with 30+ stitches and a nasty infection. Was on antibiotics for over 6 months. Also was attacked by a sow that weighed over 600 lbs. She bit my hand and shook it. Broke 2 bones and dislocated a finger. Never broke the skin, but that took a long time to heal also. BE CAREFUL with pigs. They are NOT suitable for pets!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pigs are very intelligent and can be quite friendly, but at the same time one of the most dangerous animals around. Years ago, the mob used pigs to completely dispose all of the " evidence" of a wack job of someone that they didn't want to be found. About a year ago, there was a newspaper article of a bleeding heart farmer raising pet pigs ( I posted the info here about it) , that is until those female pigs grew up and when this person went to feed them, those pigs made lunch of HIM. I would highly rethink your pet pig plan OR buy a million dollar insurance policy ( name me as beneficiary) , consult a lawyer to write your will ( again, name me as your beneficiary). Good luck !

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Some of these posts are becoming ridiculous! Respect what your pigs COULD do and enjoy having pigs in your care. They are smart, curious critters that will root up rough patches of terrain for you and eat anything you give them. (*Boil potato peelings, onion skins and cucumbers in water first.)

Don't let yourself become afraid of ANY animal you have and don't keep anything mean. You'll do fine.