Do goat babies "drop"?

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, I am wondering if goat babies "drop" like human babies. All my does seemed to have gotten this "I'm starved and no one will feed me look" right before they kidded. They were big all around and then one day their gut got lower to the ground and they looked hollow up near their backbone the day of kidding. Anyone else see this?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
dhansen said:
So, I am wondering if goat babies "drop" like human babies. All my does seemed to have gotten this "I'm starved and no one will feed me look" right before they kidded. They were big all around and then one day their gut got lower to the ground and they looked hollow up near their backbone the day of kidding. Anyone else see this?
Yep. Not sure if it's a 'drop,' considering they're horizontally oriented...but something seems to happen.

Maybe they 'shift.' :hu :p

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ive only had one doe to give birth, so I can only attest to her, but YES, her triplets did drop. She went from looking a barrel, all wide and fat, to slimmer, but droopier underneath. I suppose that happened a few days before she kidded.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
dhansen said:
Yep. Not sure if it's a 'drop,' considering they're horizontally oriented...but something seems to happen.

Maybe they 'shift.' :hu :p
True, don't they have to go "up" a little first before they come out?

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK, so I wasn't just imagining the "drop". Good to know. Thanks!