Do goats always “look pregnant”

AFewGoatsForMe

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a Nubian that is supposed to be due next month, April 5th. The man said she had been exposed twice and never came back into heat. She doesn’t look preganant though. She has a little shape but not like the other goats I see on here. This is my first time with a pregnant doe, so I have nothing to compare this with. She eats really well. Always free choice hay and loose mineral, she also gets alfalfa pellet.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pictures would be a good idea, we all love pics here. Take a picture from above her, also she might just be hiding the kids. I have a ewe who looked a bit chubby a month from her pregnancy, but by the time the lambs were born she was massive

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Some goats, (generally the large standard sized ones) can hide it well. Is she a first timer? She may be carrying as single and have enough space in her body cavity that the baby isn't bulging out.

AFewGoatsForMe

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This will be her second time kidding, her first time she had twins. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A pic looking straight down from above will be most telling. :)

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Here's Dot. This is her 2nd freshening. 1st year was a single doeling and she was barely this size at delivery. I'm anticipating twins this year. :D
upload_2018-3-6_21-56-32.png

AFewGoatsForMe

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello again. We’ve been busy so I haven’t really been on here much. My husband and I decided that the goat that this is originally about is not pregnant. She just isn’t showing any outward signs. I know that isn’t 100% proof of a non pregnancy, but I would think with her being “due” in less than a week she would’ve at least started filling her udder or something.

BUT. We have another doe that I bought at the beginning of February, the lady assured me that this doe was not pregnant. But I’m thinking differently. Last night my husband commented, “wow her udder is big” it was late so I didn’t take a good look over of the doe but this morning I think she is pregnant and that she is VERY CLOSE to giving birth. I’m not an expert but she is showing all the signs I have been looking for in the other doe.

Her udder is huge. Her hips are a lot more prominent, I dont think this is a feeding issue, they always have hay available. She had some discharge this morning too. There is also a big gap under her tail now, is that what y’all mean by loose tail ligs???

I’ll post some pics to get y’alls opinion. I’m so nervous because this would be my first pregnant doe and I have no due date! If any of you can give me a rough timeframe based on pics I would appreciate it!

These are pictures from this morning

D49BE6F1-8DD8-4A6A-AD41-09035673BCDD.jpeg

1F44F663-BB77-409A-A800-15213DF089E1.jpeg

A492E100-05A7-4F8F-B13D-A0CC6B961DE0.jpeg

This is a picture of her from when I brought her home in February. The darker doe is her daughter from last year. It’s the best side view I could find. There is no udder visible from behind her legs like in the previous picture. Her belly also look “high and tight” compared to now but I don’t know if that just from the picture angle or not.
42494400-B85B-4855-AE0A-EF5481A38968.jpeg

AFewGoatsForMe

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Any chance you could give a rough time frame of when she might kid? Safe to say in the next week? I would like to put her in the kidding pen if she is close but I dont have a due date.

What are the odds. I buy a pregnant doe that isn’t pregnant, and a non pregnant doe that is pregnant.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh yes... she's pregnant! :weee So looks like you're gonna have kids, one way or another. I'm not very experienced myself, but it's also hard to estimate a due date without a little more info... Is she a first freshener or has she had kids before? How old is she? I'm guessing there could be a single OR twins in there. If a FF, then it's anyone's guess as they could develop an udder (and have discharge) a month before kidding... or the day after :barnie If she's had kids before, I'd say/guess she's within 2 weeks.

The pic I shared of my Dot above, she did indeed deliver twin boys on March 24th, one week ago today.