Do herbal wormers actually work?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The only way to get an accurate/actual egg count would be with them... Otherwise it's just guess work that there's; a couple/a few/some/a bunch/too many.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Compare the $60 expense, to paying a vet that same amount every time they run a fecal for you, and owning livestock (and other animals), that at a minimum would be what? at least twice a year? most likely much more?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Compare the $60 expense, to paying a vet that same amount every time they run a fecal for you, and owning livestock (and other animals), that at a minimum would be what? at least twice a year? most likely much more?
Exactly!

It is also nice to have it whenever its needed. Goats love to go down when its a holiday weekend and every vet & lab are closed. :rolleyes: No more waiting on someone else to tell you the results, you will be able to see within 10 minutes!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We teach it to all our clients and run fecals the day they pick up an animal... that way we all are on the same page. If the clients are local they may bring a fecal back in 4-7 days so we can check for a bloom. If not local we try to find a lab they can go to etc. We stress how important this is. EVEN if a kid is on cocci prevention it may not be enough and a bloom, especially with no symptoms externally can kill.

It saves money in the long run as well.

Example- We had a goat get some softer poo... for her she is "sensitive":rolleyes: so any change.... and I mean ANY- as in too much orchard in the alfalfa orchard, or too many leaves off the tree etc can cause her to get clumps or soft clumpy semi berry.
When the next day it was the same we rolled our eyes and gave a sigh.... WAY too foo foo for my farm:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

keep in mind any other goat I would have run a fecal right away, but this doe is ... this doe. :\

Next day diarrhea!
Ran fecal immediately.
She had a 125 EPG count- which means she really has nothing ... so that wasn't it.
No cocci.

Got worse... ran another fecal next am. Nothin'
Called my vet- Vet told us to try anti-biotic injections.
Long story short best guess by our vet was maybe bacterial...

Gave anti- biotics and she cleared up.

I share that because many stab in the dark... they would have run to the dewormers and loaded up the goat... or cocci meds etc...
This isn't good at all- is a waste of time and money and the goat is still getting sicker.

My foo foo goat is fine... but has a hoof almost out the door with her foo fooness! ;):lol: