Do I need to feed my pigs minerals?

MikahMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I feed my Shire horses and Nigerian Dwarf goats mineral supplements (especially made for the type of animal) should I also be looking at getting minerals for my pigs and if so what type? I live in the Deep South so the summers are very hot and humid. :cool:

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are feeding a commercial type complete feed, minerals will not be necessary. If you are concocting your own feed, and adding a commercial supplement, the mineral should be included through the supplement, so again, no mineral needed.

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you do decide to feed a mineral make sure it doesnt have salt. Your feed has all the salt needed. It will actually poison pigs.Sounds weird but true I found out the hard way. My daughter threw in some salt wheels that were for her rabbits. I lost 2 to salt piosoning. After a lot of checking I found that a good feed Is all thats needed. I aactually add some corn and wheat to my feed to make it more palatible.Especially to the shoats.Plus I through weeds and grass from garden to them occasionally too.They seem to enjoy it.