Do I need to worry??

churchx3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have lost 4 chickens in the past 3 days to either a raccoon or fox or maybe even a coyote? Do I need to worry about these getting to my pygmy/nigerian goats? My goats are approx 10 months old,hefty, and still have their horns... They are kept separate from the chickens in their own house/enclosed run. I am sure that coyotes would be deadly to goats but would raccoons or foxes be aggressive?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so with how old/big your goats are.

I went through a stage of letting my chickens free range 24/7 and we were away for most of the day at work.

Lost about 6 chickens/ducks in a week's time during daylight hours - nothing touched the goats though.

If you're that worried, you could get a LGD, which is something I've considered only because I really want my chickens to free range but have those darn foxes, racoons, fisher cats and owls prowling the yard.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you have coyotes, then your mini goats would be candy for them if they can get access. I don't think foxes or coons would bother them.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lilhill said:
If you have coyotes, then your mini goats would be candy for them if they can get access. I don't think foxes or coons would bother them.
x2

Coyotes can also jump over 6 feet if they're ambitious enough. If you're getting goats, maybe consider getting a guardian donkey or llama if coyotes are prevalent in your area

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if you don't want a donkey, a couple ponies can work too. have seen mine go stompping after the dogs, the donkey just watching. (donkeys are kinda lazy)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
We had a coon getting our chickens, whos coop/pen is outside the exterior goat pens surrounding our barn. I wasn't worried about the grown goats, but I had several bottle babies in the barn under a month old...

There was talk about locking the hens up at night...but I told my husband I'd MUCH rather the hungry predator partake in a chicken dinner than cabrito...so until we finally shot the coon, we lost a chicken a night.

As long as it's not coyotes or dogs, bobcats, etc, you should be OK. The pattern of kill on the chickens can tell you what is getting them.

bucknercrestfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had a cyot problem they took my cats my chickens it was heart breaking so last april my hubby got me two pyrenees pups there not even a year old and we here the cyots getting beat up by my boys they even chased off a bear that was trying to get to freshly castrated pigglets pyrenees are worth there pounds in gold and the feed bill is so worth it there even good mousers!:cool:

Latest posts