Do lines matter when buying a puppy?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree! There are so many variations within the Anatolian I gave up on trying to find consistency. That is why I went where I did. :D
I know- I also am having a hard time finding an Anatolian- NOT that I am realllly looking. :hide
Not trying to find one... sure...:smack

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
POODLE x Great Pyrenees? Husky x Great Pyrenees? Huskies having huge prey drive and all….gads.
Mother of Mercy. Will it ever end?
:sick :mad::somad:he:barnie
My advice - not that you asked for it - wait till you move onto your place.
Get it fenced and fenced GOOD. Get your stock. Then cross the LGD river.
There is no answer to your question "already trained or puppies".
It depends on you and your patience and time you are willing to invest.
Puppies of course taking more time to lay the groundwork.
But pre-trained comes with it's own load of work and time needed to acclimate.

OK back into my writing hole. I am submitting the second part of my book proposal by noon
tomorrow - GULP. :hide This has been worse than a full term pregnancy! LOL!
Omg, I know it is not funny... One of the pups sold last year is being sold because he chases livestock... The third puppy I have seen come up for sale this year.

Oh, any advice is welcome!

Me and my dad were talking it over today and we will be doing 4-foot field fencing with 2-strands of electric fence. Will that be sufficient enough? I have always used normal field fencing.

I am pretty sure I have the patience to work with a puppy as I know my dad does. I know I have a lot of learning to do!

Then there is the flip side-
Last year I was looking for a Kuvasz- I love the Kuvasz but I loved the Kuvasz from the 80's.... yeah 2016-2017 is not the same.
The breeders in the states are trying to breed out the LGD from the dog so they are all pets.
So what they consider for a LGD is a wild uncontrollable dog- yep- that would make a great "LGD". :th
NOT! :barnie:he:somad:rant:duc:smack
Yeah, just about, sadly most end up at the shelter and are so far that they put then down.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
"I do not like a female to have a foxy face- or snippy face- I do not ant a little dog.... they need to be large and powerful- like they are suppose to be."

:thumbsup
SBC: A buckaroo friend of mine in California who is a saddle maker and makes the spiked carlanca protective collars for a lot of commercial sheepmen told me he had a discussion with a big commercial producer the other day about what is happening to LGDs in America (and in such a short time.) He said the producer breeds his own LGDs but has become so disgusted with the "downsizing" of dogs he sees going on. He said the guy blamed hobby farmers breeding substandard specimens like "cash cows." He said the guy says he has to hunt to find substantial dogs now because everything is getting too light, too short, too small.

I totally hear you on Anatolians and that's just one breed example. My two AnatolianxMaremma boys are huge - 160 pounds each, Pak is 36 ½ at shoulder, Pala a tad shorter. They came off a big Elko County sheep operations. Their dam was a Maremma. I saw their sire, a huge, pure white Anatolian with a head on him like a watermelon. Thick bone. Height. Substance. None of this 65-80 pound when soaking wet stuff. They can hold their own. LGDs are supposed to be powerful, substantial dogs - how else are they to deter predators if they get engaged in a conflict? LGDs that are too light, too small, don't stand a chance. Sure they can move, and travel, but if they have to defend themselves let alone their stock, they are not going to last long against a feral dog pack, coyote pack, let alone wolves, lion, bear…. :barnie

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@BrendaMNgri today I saw this-

"Looking for a purebred mature unspayed female working Great Pyrenees. Send me pictures, info about her, and price. Thank you!!"

My interpretation- call me cynical-
"I want an intact female that I can mill and make money off of selling puppies."

Like I said, I am cynical.
I try to give the benefit of the doubt but lets just say I see this far too often.

As far as the smaller dogs- there are alot of small dogs because of improper breeding yes, but I think many never reach their potential because they are not dewormed properly or fed properly.
Most go by what their pet vet tells them. :\

There is room for the smaller dogs (which is a good thing considering there are so many small dogs) Here in our region coyotes and stray dogs are the largest predators.

This is the head I want on my pyrs! at 6 months 98 lbs- full grown 160lbs
SAM_4494.JPG

SAM_9075.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good points @BrendaMNgri I have one of those 67 pound female GP's and our male is just over 100 pounds. Some day I will want another dog or two. Guess what? I won't be breeding mine.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good points @BrendaMNgri I have one of those 67 pound female GP's and our male is just over 100 pounds. Some day I will want another dog or two. Guess what? I won't be breeding mine.
That's because you are being responsible :thumbsup You took her in, worked with her, and gave her a home. She's on the smaller side and you are aware of that and are doing the right thing by not breeding her. :clapI is very sad, there are so many pyrs and other LGD's that are so tiny. So many breeding to make a buck and just don't care.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you GW. The lady that gave her to us said they bought her from a place where there were pens and pens of Great Pyrenees. Sounds like dog hell to me.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you GW. The lady that gave her to us said they bought her from a place where there were pens and pens of Great Pyrenees. Sounds like dog hell to me.

The thing is pyrs do have a range and the breed standard really gives a variance.
Those on the smaller side can still work but within limitations.

IMO Paris is perfect regardless of her weight... she has the best owners and she is a great dog. She does her job.
@Baymule our Amy is short but heavy 120lbs and powerful- NOTHING messes with her... I thing our males are intimidated by her.. short stuff is a force to be reckoned with. ;)

Standard-
Life span: 10 – 12 years
Temperament: Affectionate, Strong Willed, Fearless, Gentle, Patient, Confident
Height: Male: 28–32 inches (70–82 cm), Female: 26–29 inches (65–74 cm)
Weight: Male: 110–120 lbs (50–54 kg), Female: 80–90 lbs (36–41 kg)

Latest posts