Do lines matter when buying a puppy?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't know the females were generally that much smaller. I thought our Maisy was smallish but seeing the weight range she is pretty much within the normal range at 79 lbs. She conveniently went into the chute the other day and stepped on the livestock scale. :)

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do realize, my opinion of what constitutes "big" is totally warped from running, breeding and owning 32"- 38" tall 170-240 pound Spanish Mastiffs. :hide
Out here in NV the LGDs tend to be rangy, leggy, thick boned, tall, big, solid dogs. But we have big country, big predators.
I'd say the average LGD I see out here is easily 150 pounds.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well at least I don't have bears and cougars to worry about. Paris is in the bantam weight class, but she's sure death on snakes!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do realize, my opinion of what constitutes "big" is totally warped from running, breeding and owning 32"- 38" tall 170-240 pound Spanish Mastiffs. :hide
Out here in NV the LGDs tend to be rangy, leggy, thick boned, tall, big, solid dogs. But we have big country, big predators.
I'd say the average LGD I see out here is easily 150 pounds.
Pyrs in general aren't usually that big, but @Southern by choice has some absolutely huge pyrs, the largest I've seen. Proper deworming and feeding plays a huge role.
Her Anatolians are massive as well.

Latest posts