Do sheep grow beards?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My St. Croix/Katahdin cross ewe, 7 mo., had a growth-like thing on her chin. I caught her to examine it and it pulled right off in my hand. It bled a little but she didn't act like it hurt when it was removed. Anyway, it was like a small turkey beard! It was composed of stiff, waxy hairs that were more coarse than her surrounding fur.

Here is a pic of her with it on the rt. side of her chin, left side when facing her:

5_100_0043.jpg

Anyone else ever have something like this on their sheep? Will it grow back?

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've never ever seen that in any of my sheep....so I can't really answer your question, but I have never heard anyone say their sheep had a beard either.

From the picture it looks more like an absess to me, but again, I'm not an expert and really just guessing.....

Will be interesting to find out though...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about sheep but I agree with Run-a-muck that it looks like she has an abscess on her jaw and it even looks like it has opened up or ready to open up. If it is an abscess, it will need to be drained and she will need antibiotics. If it goes into her jaw, you will lose her.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
It is hard to see on a black face, but it looks like she has a very even mandible (or is it maxilla? Sheesh!) You are just talking about hair, aren't you, Bee?

Bee is a nurse and would certainly catch a swelling on one side of the jaw.....

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If that is the case, then this is a perfect example of how we can't diagnose problems over the internet even with a picture. I looked closely at the picture again and it still looks like the sheep has an abscess to me. I'm sure the angle of the sheep's head and my computer have something to do with it.

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think its just the angle of the picture, the 'lumb' being the sheep's jawbone sticking out, but I wouldn't know. I also don't see what you mean by beard?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The small grey, pea-sized thingy hanging down on the left side (as you are facing the pic) right under her chinny-chin-chin. It sort of looks like a burr.

No, that is not an abscess...that is her Got Food? face. She kind of cocks her head and rolls her eyes at me, sniffs noses with me and shakes her ears. :lol: I know the angle of the pic looks funny but I was talking about the little grey looking thingy right beneath her chin.

It was composed of stiff, waxy hairs. If you've ever seen a turkey's beard when it first starts growing, this is what it looks like.

I didn't know if it was because she is coming into heat and it was a hormonal kind of thing...you know, like a woman who gets stiff hairs on her chin after menopause? :p

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The St. Croix rams often have a beard and a full set of long hair across the brisket. The ewes sometimes have beards also.

I know that this probably long forgotten, But I thought you all might like to know.

I was looking into purchasing some St. Croixes, but I desided I wanted some fleeces instead and I bought my Finn cross lambs instead.

rams_standingsm.jpg

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
It looks like she has an abcess to me too! :lol: Funny pic angle. Could the growth have been a wart?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Just realized this was one of those looooong ago posts that got brought up again. :rolleyes:

So, did it grow back?

Latest posts