Do these cattle look healthy to you?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello!
First, let me say these are not my cattle. I guy leases the property across the street from my house. He allows me to feed them cubes so they stop by once a day for some treats. I do not know a whole lot about cattle, but I feel like beef cattle should not look like this. He leaves the bull and 7 cows on the property to breed. He doesn't come my often and even though they have a lot of acres to graze, there is not much out there or them to eat. He comes by occasionally with bales of hay. There are actually 4 on the property right now by the cows cannot get to them. I am concerned about them and would like the opinion of those of you who own cattle. I do not want to call the sheriff to check them out if there isn't a need. So please, look at these pictures and tell me what you think.

Thank you!

Melissa

Attachments

• 20230213_110551.jpg
    20230213_110551.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230213_110553.jpg
    20230213_110553.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230213_110555.jpg
    20230213_110555.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230213_110601.jpg
    20230213_110601.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230213_110605.jpg
    20230213_110605.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230213_110610.jpg
    20230213_110610.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230213_110714.jpg
    20230213_110714.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 76

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is what I though too. I cannot sit by and watch these sweet things die of starvation. I decided to go ahead and call the Livestock Deputy. Hopefully they will take care of them. The worst part is the 4 bales they could be eating that are sitting right there but fenced in so they cannot get to them. It's like putting food in front of a starving person but not letting them eat it. :(

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is what I though too. I cannot sit by and watch these sweet things die of starvation. I decided to go ahead and call the Livestock Deputy. Hopefully they will take care of them. The worst part is the 4 bales they could be eating that are sitting right there but fenced in so they cannot get to them. It's like putting food in front of a starving person but not letting them eat it. :(
How long has it been like this? Long enough to justify calling the livestock deputy? Think carefully before making the call.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are thin, yes.
Have you spoken with the owner to see if there is some reason?
Are they recent arrivals? Possibly bought in that condition and are being slowly accustomed to proper feed?
Perhaps the owner has has something happen (illness/injury) and is unable to get to them? If you contact them and ask about the animal's condition they may give you permission to feed?
Hard to tell from the picture, but they seem small - perhaps being weaned and under stress from that?
Could be that they were moved away from another herd where they were being bullied by the larger cattle and not allowed to eat? May need to be wormed? May be sick an waiting on vet for testing?
Your best bet would be to not assume anything and talk - kindly - to the owner to see if there might be some reason that you can't see that would explain the circumstances that you can see.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are thin, yes.
Have you spoken with the owner to see if there is some reason?
Are they recent arrivals? Possibly bought in that condition and are being slowly accustomed to proper feed?
Perhaps the owner has has something happen (illness/injury) and is unable to get to them? If you contact them and ask about the animal's condition they may give you permission to feed?
Hard to tell from the picture, but they seem small - perhaps being weaned and under stress from that?
Could be that they were moved away from another herd where they were being bullied by the larger cattle and not allowed to eat? May need to be wormed? May be sick an waiting on vet for testing?
Your best bet would be to not assume anything and talk - kindly - to the owner to see if there might be some reason that you can't see that would explain the circumstances that you can see.
Thanks!
They are not recent arrivals. They have been here since I moved here almost 2 years ago. There are a couple calves and a few that are weaned. He has a bull and about 7 cows that he uses for breading. When the calves are old enough, he comes and gets them and takes them to auction, I believe. They have definitely lost weight since last year. I am not assuming anything about him and what the situation might be. I am just concerned for the wellbeing of the cattle and wanted to know if they seem thin to someone with more experience. Thanks for your post.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How long has it been like this? Long enough to justify calling the livestock deputy? Think carefully before making the call.
Well, they seemed a little thin last year but not as thin as they are now. Last year there was only one or two that seemed thin. This year it seems like all of them are thin. I am not trying to get the guy in trouble, but I also do not want the cows to starve to death. I cannot set by and do nothing. I just thought there maybe someone on this site that knows body condition and could tell me what they think as far as them being thin and then make a decision on what to do. I don't think the guy is intentionally starving his cattle. Last year was harsh in TX for livestock.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will tell you from a cattle owners' prospective, they are extremely thin to the point of several look emaciated.
Possible plan.... call the owner and say someone stopped at your house and said "your cattle" looked like they were very very thin and that you needed to feed them (or something to this effect).... and you told them that they were not your cattle, that you didn't know who they belonged to..... gets you off the hook.... and tell the owner that you thought you should pass it on as they seem to be trying to reach under the fence for anything they can get to eat.... see what happens in a week and if they are not fed anything then call whoever you need to. There are some pretty strict laws about starving animals and in my opinion they are starving....
We run a cow - calf operation and unless an animal is sick or has a bad case of worms that we are treating for, I have never had an animal get that thin in my life. Feed them or sell them.....
I admire that you want them to survive on more than the thin air.... yes, turn them in if a phone call does not produce results in them getting fed within a week....
NO EXCUSE for starving an animal.

A beef cow should not be showing any ribs if they are in good flesh. Literally, we seldom if ever see the ribs, let alone the hips and pins like these are showing.... That is very unacceptable.

And no, I don't pull any punches when I give an opinion....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with above!! Give owner a chance to feed...and see that they have water...if not done with him couple days, call the law.

Latest posts