Do these goats look underfed to you?

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was looking on Craigslist and saw this add. I think these gals (and 1 guy) look seriously bony. Am I wrong?

Just wanted some other opinions since I'm really just used to our pygmy boys. Thanks for the feedback. I know a gal at animal control who rescues neglected farm animals all the time. If you guys think they don't look right, I'm gonna give her a call and see if we can give these goaties a Maaaahhrry Christmas. :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The white one does not the tan one in the first pic has lots of wavy hair coming in so it could be throwing the pic off.
It doesn't say what breed they are or their age- dairy goats are often long and lean. If they are on all natural forage they will be leaner than those that heavily manage. They look like they have some dairy in them...
Remember, here in the states we are use to fat everything! Goats all over the world ARE generally lean.

If they have CAE they will be thin and not grow well. Maybe they are recovering from high worm loads...

JMO but I am a strong believer in what the bible says- You have the right to know your accuser... if you are that concerned, go to the farm and ask - talk to the people yourself. ;)

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was looking on Craigslist and saw this add. I think these gals (and 1 guy) look seriously bony. Am I wrong?

Just wanted some other opinions since I'm really just used to our pygmy boys. Thanks for the feedback. I know a gal at animal control who rescues neglected farm animals all the time. If you guys think they don't look right, I'm gonna give her a call and see if we can give these goaties a Maaaahhrry Christmas. :)
I'm not a goatie but the brown one sure looks too thin to me. I'm all for rescuing, and have done, but keep a couple things in mind:

Do you have a place to quarantine them away from your goats? They could be thin due to disease you don't want bringing to your place. Or they could have worms. Or it could be old age (if she was a dog, all that white on her face would tell me she's old), or she just got done raising kids and that took a lot out of her (the white one in the picture could be hers).

I see SBC answered while I was typing! What she said. I've been known to visit someplace, *not* tell them I have the same type of animal, and ask some newbie questions to see what they answer...

Good luck, whatever happens!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I agree with Southern on this one:

Remember, here in the states we are use to fat everything! Goats all over the world ARE generally lean.

I can't tell about the white one, and though I would prefer a little more "meat on the bones" for the brown one, it by no means looks emaciated or abused.

I have also heard too many horror stories of people who have lost their animals and thousands of $$ to these ASPCA type organizations... wrongfully. I would hesitate to report anyone to those organizations unless I am 200% sure there is abuse/neglect involved, and I couldn't help the animals myself.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a great big heart @sadieml. And, yes, there definitely is a different look between pygmies and dairy goats.

However, I agree with SBC and LS... there are many reasons that goats may look thin. I have a big ol' Nubian doe who has been nursing triplets for 8 months(!)that doesn't look a whole lot better than that one right now. She's healthy and parasite free, but she just won't kick those kids off the tit, lol.

I've actually just bred her three big, well-fed doe kids to a Nigerian buck so I guess I should probably go ahead and force the weaning issue. Can't have upcoming mama does still nursing THEIR mama, lol!

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice , @norseofcourse , @Latestarter , & @frustratedearthmother - Thanks sooo much for the feedback. I was thinking of visiting to see them for myself, and shall keep it in prayer. I would never dream of accusing someone without more info that JUST that pic. I was thinking more along the lines of asking my friend to go along on a visit to the farm so she could see with her trained eye, as opposed to just looking for myself. Either way, I would certainly meet and, if need be, confront in person. I hate the idea of sneaking to report someone even if I knew for sure they were in the wrong. There's something awfully underhanded and dishonorable about that. I can't very well teach my children that honesty and integrity are vital if I sneak around to do things. After all, we all know they don't listen to a thing we say, but they watch our EVERY move! ;)

Thanks again. I hope you all are going to have VERY happy Christmases. Ours will be light on store-bought stuff, but filled with LOVE and BAKED GOODS and homemade peanut brittle! :D