Do you ever use safe-gurad pellets to deworm?

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We use a rotation of Ivomec - injectable, Safeguard (Panacur) - paste, and Valbazen. No Valbazen when pregnant.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
To be honest, even with alpacas, you should just be worming as needed. Resistance with the dewormers is happening with the alpacas now and has been going on for a quite a while in the south. Also you should really know which parasites you are dealing with to use the proper dewormer. Each deworming is used for certain worms so there really isn't one "good" dewormer to "take care of it all." If you have whitetail deer in your area, then you may want to look into some form of preventative for Meningeal Worm though. I used Ivomec monthly from September to January for M worm prevention.

Don't use Safeguard Pellets. You have to make sure that the alpaca eats the whole dosage at one feeding and that can be hard to do when they are picky eaters.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Safeguard was a good dewormer, but now most internal parasites (worms) are resistant to it because of improper use just like Ivomec. Both dewormers were wonderful dewormers at one time but now are ineffective throughout most of the US. Levamisole, Valbazen, and Cydectic pour-on are used here at Calfee Farms along with strict rotation of pastures with much success along with culling problematic goats who are prone to being wormy. The great point with Safeguard was in that it's safe for all classes of goat (pregnant, nursing, and younger kids). I wouldn't waste my money on the Safeguard but there's another pelleted dewormer called Morantel Tartrate (generic name). I use this from time to time with good results. You need to withdraw the goats from all feed for 24 hours I believe prior to deworming. Anyhoo, be sure to follow the directions to the letter. I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply Co. But this is where I bought it from. Also, it is a good practice to deworm on an individual basis (only the goats that actually need it instead of all the goats). Good luck! :thumbsup