Do you feed fruits/veggies daily?

Somebunny2love

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have read that feeding fruits and/or veggies every day is bad for a rabbit, but then I have also read that it's very good for them to have the fruits and veggies every day. How often do you give fruits and/or veggies?

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I try to give my rabbits greens/veggies every day and they do fine. For fruits we have only apples and that I only give them when the're in season.

pennylove

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We give them anything we have in season in our garden that they could feasibly eat on their own if they were wild. There's a list posted somewhere on this forum of the specific foods, but . . .

We give them lots of grasses, herbs, low-growing vegetables, 'weeds' like dandelion and clover. I give them apples, cherries, strawberries, etc., when those fruits are in season. Since the wild rabbits eat them right off the ground (and in the case of strawberries, right off the bush) I know they are a fairly natural food for rabbits.

Our rabbits love their daily vegetables; in fact, they know what the word "salad" means and will come running from whatever they were doing when I come into the room and say, "salad time!"

A lot of show and meat breeders are down on vegetable and wild forage, but I disagree. Rabbits didn't evolve to eat preprocessed pellet foods. Such foods weren't even available until the late 40s and humans have been raising rabbits for meat and pets long before then. I have a lovely now-out-of-print book from the Depression-era specifically written about feeding rabbits on scrap foods. Thankfully, my rabbits have more options available to them, but it's interesting to know how it can be done in leaner times.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I give my rabbits leafy greens that i grow and once or twice a week he gets some pear,apple,carrots:)

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I always have hay available for fiber and to keep teeth worn down but almost all of my rabbits diet is greens with some grains and BOSS in cold weather. I try to avoid pellets since mills will often change formulas without notice depending on what are the cheapest ingredients for them. I grow red clover, broadleaf chicory and Italian dandelions (the big ones) in my garden and supplement with wild gathered greens when good ones are available.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never.

They get weeds and grasses. Rabbits don't climb trees, so not sure how fruit would be normal for them, other than rotting/fallen fruit the rarely stumble upon. I don't think I've ever had a rabbit eat my veggies, just the leaves, maybe a nibble. Fruit is full of sugar, not good for em.

Same with guinea pigs, fruits and veggies is just not worth the risk to 'get them used to it'. Stick to weeds and grasses.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i free feed pellets and hay. i feed as much grass as i can cut and they will eat. right now i havent been cutting grass because its been so hot and dry that it hasnt really grown. but now its been raining more and i think the rabbits are chanting "grow grass! grow grass! grow grass!" :p

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I never feed my rabbits fruits or veggies. Just pellets, hay, and oats.