Do you have a list of foods and treats for meat pigs?

LilyD

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am looking for a list of foods that is okay for meat pigs and ones that aren't. I have about 100 different people telling me that things are okay to feed to them only to have 100 more telling me no that it's not. I was wondering if there is a list of foods such as types of vegetables, fruits, grains, cheese, milk etc that they can eat.

Thanks
Lily

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Relax and give them anything you'd eat and more. They like stuff that is turning....I gave mine gallons and gallons of tomatoes and they ignored them until they were flat and liquified. Sour milk, moldy cheese, old bread, pumpkins that are mushy, it all goes to the pigs and they sort out what they want.

My pigs are VERY healthy and their main diet right now is pasture, in which I've piled hundreds of pounds of acorns, over-ripe sweetcorn and pumpkins that I gleaned, which they eat free choice. I supplement it with anything I can get my hands on. I haven't paid for food for them since Sept 22. Since my pasture is pretty plowed up at this point, I bring a bucket with me when I walk the dogs and fill it with dandelion leaves and grass, which they also love.

I think the only thing I wouldn't give them is raw eggs and meat...cooked only...and cooked bones, which can splinter.

LilyD

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks it's good to hear from someone who truly knows. We have started with two pigs this year and we are feeding them veggies that we get from the grocery store. They let us put up a bin at the store and will give us everything for veggies and fruit. They also give us bread and cheeses and milk but people have been telling me that milk is bad for them and we shouldn't give it to them. I just wanted to find someone who actually has pigs to get advice from.

Lily

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Milk is definitely NOT bad for pigs. In the olden days, my Dad raised hundreds of pigs, and he fed them ground grains (corn, oats) soaked overnight in skim milk. these pigs gained well, and were perfectly healthy. The milk that you would be getting from the store would also be pasteurized, so the risk of disease would be minimal. Go for it!

LilyD

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Cool I would hate to take their milk away from them since they really are crazy for it. They will leave all their other food to go get the milk. I will try soaking their grain in milk and see if maybe they will like that too they really don't like the grain too much so maybe that will help. They also get every type of vegetable and fruit imaginable and hay (which is their bedding but they eat it anyway).

Thanks for all the help!!
Lily

Latest posts