Do you have a senior horse?

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I do. Share your senior horse stories. How old are they, what do you do differently for them, do they still work? How much do you love :love them?

My senior horse is 26 years old. She was an ex quarter horse race horse and is built like a sh** brick house. They just don't make them like that anymore.

She has earned her retirement by being the best horse in the world!!!

Here she is with my daughter. Her name is "Ms. Twinks" came to us as "Twinky" but she is a lady after all.
912_sending_to_mom_3_007.jpg

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had a senior horse, Pal the Palomino. He was about 28 years old when he went to a companion animal ranch to live out his years.

pal-1.jpg

Pal got the very best of everything even in his old age, from $9/bale haylage to top quality blankets. He was still ridden at 28, just enough to keep him healthy and happy by a young girl, walk/trot nothing else.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi lupin!!!!! :frow

Pal is beautiful!!!! I love him! Maybe we can set he and Ms. Twinks up on a date. :p Wouldn't they make a great couple?

Yeah, Ms. Twinks gets the best hay etc. too. She also gets to eat the green grass in our yard b/c she doesn't make divits running around like the geldings do. She is pretty much spoiled.

(Can you believe she was saved from slaughter/renderer as a bag of bones?!)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pal was somewhat of a rescue as well, he wasn't underweight.. he was morbidly obese with pie plate feet, he came from a horse dealers yard closeby. There were thoughts that he had been abused.

Eliza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
25 year old Arab gelding "Emmett". I've had him for the last 23 years. Still gets around good. Best Russian and Polish breeding has to offer and it shows. Some old age knees keeps him from being ridden but even so, he's just part of the family.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Eliza said:
25 year old Arab gelding "Emmett". I've had him for the last 23 years. Still gets around good. Best Russian and Polish breeding has to offer and it shows. Some old age knees keeps him from being ridden but even so, he's just part of the family.
Do you have a photo? I wish we were able to have had Ms. Twinks that long.

Shadowhills Farm

Just born
Reaction score
2qjd2bo.jpg

^ That's Vindi, he's an Oldenburg who is 19 (in the pic he is 16). Gets Seminole Wellness Senior Mix, hay is usually O/A and once in a while straight alfalfa when that's all the feed store has. Lots of treats (especially peppermint ones!), and is currently being ridden in my lesson program 4 times a week walk/trot.

We :weee :love him a lot=]

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Had 2 seniors

My QH Willy I got when he was about 10---he lived to about 28-29 years old. Retired the last 8 years or so in the pasture. Best bombproof riding horse! Miss him alot! Bad arthritis in the end poor guy.

My POA Patches. He was Willys companion. Monster pony..LOL...got him at age 15 and he lived to about 30 also. What a houdini and good all around fun pony to own!

My Spotted Saddle Horse Peepers. She passed at about age 22--twisted gut. She wasn't retired and she was in great shape and doing great and I thought she would easily go til 30....no such luck for her and me! miss her alot also.

No horses right now. After Peepers passed am waiting to buy 2 new horses for me and Nicole--she is going to be 5 and want to wait a tad longer til she is older and stronger.

I had quite a few that I sold cause after I bought them--they were not the right fit for my life.

I like that "just perfect horse" for me!

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Beautiful horses fadetopurple! :love

My own senior horse pictured above is now on soaked, fermented oats, which are full of probiotics. I have seen big changes in her these last few weeks. I've only been doing it since the beginning of November. I just add about a cup to her regular feed each day. Very simple too, I just bring up a cup of whole oats each night, soak them in water and about 2 tablespoons of whey from yogurt. By the next evening they are ready to be fed with her evening meal. You have to rinse them and drain them first. (I've been rinsing them in warm water so she gets a nice warm evening meal.)

She usually gets a bit ribby in the winter, but not this year...she looks great!! I swear by this method. I got the idea from freemotion. She can explain the health benefits better if you are interested.

I'll take a photo of her for ya after Tgiving is all over and done with.
:)