Do you let others ride your horse(s)??

WHFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If somebody states they want to ride my horse my reply is always the same. The horse came off the track, had been ferried from owner to owner, each owning him less than 4 months so I don't allow anybody to ride him until they've proven they are not just "a passing fancy". If they would like to ride him, the requirements are as follows: 1) a month of grooming, schmoozing and treats (okayed by me) at least 3-5 days a week; 2) concurrent to #1, a month of cleaning the stall every day to my specifications (which are basically militant according to my daughter); 3) after the first month they move onto ground work ... walking and trotting basic in hand classes, learning how to voice cue him, etc. This task is not especially easy and can be quite frustrating as every butterfly that flies by interests my gelding so you have to be alert at all times. This phase generally takes quite a while to flawlessly walk through a course that I think up, which includes everything you would see in an in hand trail class. Generally nobody makes it past this phase complaining about the amount of work required to just "ride a horse" to which I reply, horses require a lot of work, and if you can't work for it, you can't ride it ... I have many other phases and basically just keep piling them on until they give up. Mean, I know, but hey I get free barn work out of it!:lol:

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
dianneS said:
And the most amazing part? Folks get OFFENDED when dog or horse ignores them!!
You've got that right! I find it difficult to explain why I don't let people handle my horse without them getting offended. Heck, my brother got so offended when I told him I would not board a horse for him, if he ran out and bought one for no other reason than because his sister now owns a farm (70 miles away from him), that he was livid, irate, and went on a rant to our mother. He even refused to see me over the holidays that year! I don't run a boarding stable. I don't want the hassle and the liability. I tried to explain this, and he was infuriated.

I'm sure that my sister is offended that I told her 'no' she can't ride my horse. I haven't heard from her since... Oh well.

For some reason the unknowing equate small rider person with horse anyone can ride.
I've found that the unknowing also think that a well-trained horse is a horse that anyone can ride. They don't seem to understand the concept that a horse can actually be "too broke for a beginner" that a beginner would ruin a well trained horse. They also don't understand the concept of the horse and rider being on the right level for one another, and being the correct match. They have no concept of that partnership between horse and rider either.
Its simple use the old Insurance excuse. I don't want to raise my rates because I let some fool ride one of my horses.

elieugene6

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am glad to see this posted. It gives me even more perspective.

When I was a teenager my best friend had horses. Her and her mom were barrel racers. I asked once to ride and was promptly told no. They said it was because of insurance but being the teenager I was I was insulted. I tried not to let them know and never asked again. I actually have never asked another person who had their own horses.

Being an adult and knowing what I do now I am fairly certain that they didn't want me to ruin their horses. I am no longer even remotely offended. I understand after helping out at a riding stable and being able to ride whatever horse I wanted that those horses have been completely screwed up by the tons of different inexperienced riders. I consider myself inexperienced which is why I still don't own a horse of my own. I love them but will not get one without more experience. I took formal lessons as a teen for English riding and you had to learn grooming, anatomy, and how to saddle them up prior to being allowed on the horse.

My daughter wants a horse just as badly if not worse than I do but she has to wait as well. I work part time for a friend that does pony parties and am learning more and more from them. Even though they do that I would never even consider asking them to ride the ponies or their horses. Someday I hope to have the experience needed that they will offer but I also know that that day may never come and I would never dream of holding it against them.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
dianneS said:
I have been asked many times by people, usually inexperienced individuals, if they can ride my horse. A lot of people just assume that they will be granted the privilege of riding her because after all, that's what she's for right? She's just a recreational vehicle for all of my friends to take out for a spin??

This assumption drives me crazy. My mare is a one-person type of horse and no matter how I try to explain this to people they don't get it!! I had a grand-prix level rider ask to ride my mare and I turned HER down!

My sister just assumes she can come visit and ride my horse. I don't want her to and I have already told her 'No'. My sister has no formal riding lessons and hasn't even been on a horse in 30+ years. She has neighbors right next door to her that would allow her to ride their horses, why doesn't she go over there? I don't know?

My mare responds to dressage cues, and she is very, very sensitive and light. She has to be ridden from my seat and she moves off my leg beautifully. I don't want some heavy handed person ruining that! But I can't explain it to people who don't get it???

What are your feelings on letting others ride your horse? If you don't allow others to ride your horse, how do you explain to them why?
I do not. I have my horse fixed up the way i want him. I let someone else ride my horse once and he came back he was doing a jig, trotting when he felt like it to be in front of the other horses, had bad cinch pinch, took mouth fulls of weeds when he wanted them and did other naughty things like that.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
In the same vein of what free said... you wouldn't loan out your husband, why loan out your horse? You've spent hours and hours establishing a partnership based on mutual trust and respect. Just tell them your horse is monogamous. :p
I went on your site. Did you really ask 100 people they're favorite breed of goat?

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My mare is a one person kind of horse... but once in a while a few lucky people get to ride her. But If its someone at my barn who already has their own horse, I won't let them ride her. I let my 11 yr old niece ride her in the round pen or go on trail rides with her. I have also let some family members, friends, and small kids ride her for about 20 minutes. They dont ask her to do much so I dont see harm done. She behaves and tries her best to understand their cues, and she doesnt get frustrated. I like to see the excitment of little kids or even adults who never rode. But she knows when I get back in the saddle that its time to work and she starts tuning in. So it really just depends who is asking me... and what the situation is. I won't let someone get on her and go on a trail or run her to the ground. If its just like a half hour or so in the round pen under my supervision I don't really mind because it gives me them a chance to actually experience a horse and have a little mini riding lesson from me.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Out of my two horses, I only let people ride one of them. And if it is their first time, I ride with them (if they are light enough that he can carry both comfortably) or I lead them for awhile. Then, when I feel comfortable, I let them WALK him around the pasture, which isn't very big. Anyways, he doesn't listen to anyone but me, so if I say "whoa" or call him to me, he will come back and stop.

But the other one, a mare, I wouldn't let anyone ride, even on one of her "good" days. She has a "slight" attitude issue and it has taken me a few months to gain her trust. When I first started with her, she tried to rear up with me, but she wasn't strong enough to get up while I was on her, so she only came a foot or so off from the ground. She still has a certain way that she wants to be told to do something. And even then you can't "tell" her, you have to ask. LOL!