DO YOU THINK PONY RIDES SHOULD BE ALLOWED AT FAIRS??

microchick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Nor mine.

Amish are like everyone else. Not all cut from the same cloth. The Amish around us are referred to, even by other Amish from outside the area as being 'gypsy Amish' and if you drove around the area you would notice a stark difference between them and Amish farms outside the local 'community' and know what I was talking about.

My father was born in 1912 in Burke's Co. Pennsylvania. I grew up hearing him speak 'Pennsylvania Dutch' and relating stories to me about being 7 years old and walking behind a plow barely able to reach the handles. He's been gone for 13 years now and I miss him dearly. I tell my husband every time we drive by a horse that is tied out in full saddle or harness in the sun that if my dad was alive he would be having a cow, getting out of his car and moving the horse to shade and if the owner protested, giving them a piece of his mind in fluent 'Duetch' He adored horses and rode in the US Calvary prior to WWII, performing in the Army's Exhibition drill team. I have pictures somewhere of him 'Roman Riding' on two horses, so he was quite the horseman.

We have one neighbor who is Amish who does show consideration towards his stock. During haying season he told us that our field was the last one he was doing for awhile as his big Belgium's were starting to show swelling under their yokes and he wanted to rest them for a week or two before doing more hay. I was impressed.....now if I could just hear him say that he was getting out of the 'puppy mill' business, I would say there was hope for him.

The same with 'pony rides' they are not all cut from the same cloth. You are going to find those who do their best to take care of their stock and treat them with love and kindness. Then you are going to have those who just don't give a hoot and will use them up like a pair of old shoes then discard them, not caring past the all mighty dollar they make off of their suffering.

Existing laws need to be enforced. People need to speak up. If nothing happens folks can always go to the news and let them investigate the problem. Nothing gets attention like having their name potentially smeared on the airwaves!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm thankfully to have everyone's honest opinions here. I feel like I opened a can of worms with this post. I am not really against all pony ride businesses......it is more a matter of being against this one particular person who was not putting firth the effort to care for her ponies properly.
I am glad she chose to get out of the business and sell the ponies to individuals rather than take the to auction. I pray all 4 other geldings are with loving families as are the 2 I bought.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thankfully to have everyone's honest opinions here. I feel like I opened a can of worms with this post. I am not really against all pony ride businesses......it is more a matter of being against this one particular person who was not putting firth the effort to care for her ponies properly.

Nah, you didn't open a can of worms. This was a good post, lots of discussion. We all don't agree all the time, but we sure can have a civil discussion about it. This is how we all learn, from open discussion and different points of view.

I am glad that you bought the two ponies. I'm sure they think they have died and gone to heaven.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Bay, ... and I am so happy you were able to save the ones that you could.
I can't change they way I felt reading your post the first time....I still think people should get a dose of the same treatment that they give to their mistreated animals... ;) :smack

SOOOO HAPPY they are yours now :thumbsup

Latest posts