Do You Vaccinate?

holliroewe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Do you vaccinate your goats? And if so which are "necsessary"? I just purchased 2 nubians due to have kids in March. I want to make sure everyone is healthy without compromising our natural living/farming ways.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I absolutely vaccinate. It's cheap insurance against disease, and you can vaccinate and be certified organic. Not vaccinating for the sake of being "natural" is a risk I'm not willing to take.

holliroewe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think thats a healthy balance. :) I vacvinate my human kids....but do they eat organic? You betcha! Thanks for your take on this!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know that there are different circumstances in different parts of the country (wetter weather, heavier worm loads for infection, etc.) - not having those issues here I don't vaccinate at all. I am also of the mindset to not use medication on my animals unless it's "needed". If they were to get sick I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever was necessary to help them.

I do know that it is very important to keep your pens clean and your animals well cared for to prevent stress on them which can cause health issues.

I do agree that giving the CD&T would be one to give if you are debating it. I do give it to my llamas but feel that they are more 'prone' to that than goats.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chirpy said:
I know that there are different circumstances in different parts of the country (wetter weather, heavier worm loads for infection, etc.) - not having those issues here I don't vaccinate at all. I am also of the mindset to not use medication on my animals unless it's "needed". If they were to get sick I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever was necessary to help them.

I do know that it is very important to keep your pens clean and your animals well cared for to prevent stress on them which can cause health issues.

I do agree that giving the CD&T would be one to give if you are debating it. I do give it to my llamas but feel that they are more 'prone' to that than goats.
Tetanus is everywhere. It is also a horrible way for an animal to die. I would never even consider not giving my goats at least the CD&T. Not criticizing Chirpy, everyone needs to do what they feel is best.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The abscesses really aren't a big deal. Part of it is giving the shot correctly. Part of it can be the brand of CD&T that you use. The abscesses really don't compare to an animal getting one of the diseases.