Do you wash your cattle or am I just becoming a bit nutty?

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I ask this because of our 4 cows, someone always has manure stuck to their tail, their hind end, knees, something. It doesn't seem to bother them. However, when I see it, I take the brush and try to get it off. Sometimes their tail is a bit tricky. We have hosed them down on occassion and they don't mind. But could we, should we use some kind of soap on them? Am I just getting a little carried away? It's ok...I can handle the truth! :D

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
They'll be fine if you just brush them. No need to bathe them constantly. :p

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You are getting a little too carried away! Bathing only needs to be done if they're going to go to a show, and I very much doubt if that's going to happen anytime soon ;)

The only time our cattle ever got a bath was when a nice soaking rain shower went over and they were out grazing on pasture.

Besides, if you keep bathing, they'll just make an excuse to get dirty again so they can see you get all in a huff over the fact they're dirty all over again. :p

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hahaha...OK. I'm with you both! No luxury spa for the cattle. And not that we have too many visitors at the farm and from the road you would never know that we even exist, but I always worry about some non-animal person seeing manure on one of our animals and calling the SPCA or something. Believe it or not, there are some people out there even more nutty than me! :D

Royd Wood

Reaction score
:lol: Shillfarm - spa
We wash shampoo and dry show cattle a day or 2 before a show otherwise nope as they will go and poop on each other

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I got my Jersey cow she was so neglected and mangy looking that I started feeding her raw eggs in her feed and, yes, I washed her with conditioning shampoo and rinsed with vinegar. It took some washing to rid that tail of manure because she had scours when I first got her. I brushed her every day and it wasn't long before she was glossy and beautiful....when I took her back to be rebred, the farmer couldn't believe it was the same cow!

It did spoil her a bit and she would try to horn the dogs away from me when I would sit out in the yard and she would try to lay her head in my lap for a good brushing. Just like all ladies, she really liked to have her hair styled... :D

FarmGuru

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
no need if u are not in show business

There is a difference between our cleaning and animal cleaning

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
When I got my Jersey cow she was so neglected and mangy looking that I started feeding her raw eggs in her feed and, yes, I washed her with conditioning shampoo and rinsed with vinegar. It took some washing to rid that tail of manure because she had scours when I first got her. I brushed her every day and it wasn't long before she was glossy and beautiful....when I took her back to be rebred, the farmer couldn't believe it was the same cow!

It did spoil her a bit and she would try to horn the dogs away from me when I would sit out in the yard and she would try to lay her head in my lap for a good brushing. Just like all ladies, she really liked to have her hair styled... :D
Sounds like she was a spoiled girl! But I bet she was a joy to have around. She sure does sound like it. :)

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
:lol: Shillfarm - spa
We wash shampoo and dry show cattle a day or 2 before a show otherwise nope as they will go and poop on each other
Royd and FarmGuru, No shows for us currently. Maybe some day we'll do a couple of local country fairs or something. Who knows!

VioletandBodie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we wash them for fiar and get all the poo off it takes like 5 baths and a ton of bulvine shampoo to get them clean all the way but they smell nice after :)

Latest posts