Do your goats creak?

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Both my goats are making this creaking noise when they are laying in the sun. It's a new sound - of course, having them bask in the sun is new too- it was winter when we acquired them.

They sound like a creaky rocking chair. Perhaps they need to be oiled. :lol:
Strange. They do these weird things just to keep me on my toes.

TheMixedBag

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Both my does click all the time in their front knees. One's CAE positive and one's not, so I don't think it makes a difference. They do get extra creaky when they're laying down, though. Of course, so do I, and I'm only 20....

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:p

My does make a silly groaning/squeaking/moaning noise when they're really relaxed or when they're really preggers. Sunbathing, this time of year, IMO...is great reason for relaxing!

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
helmstead said:

My does make a silly groaning/squeaking/moaning noise when they're really relaxed or when they're really preggers. Sunbathing, this time of year, IMO...is great reason for relaxing!
Yup, ours, too. ;)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Right now our senior Nubian doe, Scarlett, is HUGE preggers and you can hear her well before you get to the barn...and she's on the rear side of the barn!!

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One of my leased goats (Debbie) is 7 years old and has a HUGE barrel, even when she's not preggers, and she creaks so much when she gets up! I thought she was breaking bones at first!

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
helmstead said:

Well, I guess that explains it! Ariel was due yesterday - though I'm really starting to question that date. Her ligs are soft but no sign of builing an udder yet. Jasmine is SUPPOSED to be due next Wednesday, ligs are soft as well - little bit of an udder going. Since Ariel's date is off I'm assuming Jasmine's could be too. But they are wide and creaking like crazy when they're relaxing.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just to throw my "creaking" story in...

I have the baby monitor in the goat barn for my pygmy who's due today. A few nights ago I was listening and heard this moaning/creaking/sighing/grunting noise. And then again, and again, and again.

So I grab all my stuff, run out there expecting babies but NOPE. Just my pygmy with her head all the way in the hay feeder moaning as she was eating. :rolleyes:

emilypaonia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
do you mean creaking in their joints and bones and toes? my goats do that too. i have heard that it happens because their diet could be too rich... too much alfalfa, etc. or maybe too rich when they were young. i have been able to lessen the creaking by allowing them access to pasture and scrubland so they can choose what they eat. but they still click.