Doe, 105.2 F, (Mastitis) Updated photos

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so this is Chloe who kidded on March 24th. Chloe is 5 years old and this is her 3rd freshening, twins. She and the other milkers were moved into the pasture about 5 days ago. Last night she was fine, I milked her and trust me, she was fine. She walked up the hill to get to the house this morning but once she was put in the back yard (holding area during milking) she laid down and didn't really want to get back up. My youngest got her up and we milked her anyway. After I brought the kids to school I went to check on her more thoroughly myself (now that the sun was up). She was laying down and moaning softly.

So, I brought her inside, through the house, and into the screened in porch where I am supposed to be studying for a Biochemistry exam tomorrow. She decided to poop in my living room on the way here (that's why we put tile in) so I figured I would do a fecal(we have been fighting cocci lately) as well as a temp. I checked her all over and no injuries and she is not bloating. I still haven't bought a stethoscope...

Fecal = some strongylids and cocci (her eyes are the same as they were yesterday, about a 3.5) no diarrhea, we have also been trying to find a better anthelminitc for strongylids...
Temp = 105.2

She is laying down and moaning miserably. Before I started treating too much I wanted some input.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you do a CMT to check for mastitis?
Is she still eating?
I would call vet she needs to start anti biotics. and Banamine

What dewormer have you been using that is a really scary score or FAMACHA.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Better question would be what haven't we been using! Unfortunately, she isn't worth a trip to the vet. I have sulfadimethoxine (antibacterial) and PenG. I can't believe I didn't think to check for mastitis! I will remedy that now!
Wait, I scored wrong... Let me edit that. I meant a 3.5 not a 4.5.
ETA: not eating

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is she eating?

As far as dewormers... really depends on dewormer and dosage. Most are given wrong dosages and then they are ineffective or build resistance.
What have you used and protocol?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will answer that after I call the vet. Thanks for reminding me about Mastitis! I didn't even bother to finish the test, just milked into the paddle. We have been so careful all these years this is my first case of mastitis. So, fun times and I get hands on experience treating it! :th
20170411_090222.jpg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, no she is not eating.
Ok, so the anthelmintics we have tried include: fenbendazol, albendezole, pyrantel pamoate (I am not good at spelling). UT asked me not to use Cydectin (moxidectin) unless absolutely necessary. Respecting their concern for resistance I have not used it yet.

My worming protocol includes regular FAMACHA scoring (every few weeks, more for milkers), BCS, checking for diarrhea, off feed, basically anything wrong. IF anything is wrong I run a fecal and worm based on what I see. Every few months I check everyone individually and decide, based on load and other scores, if I am going to worm them or not and with what.

Up until this winter that has worked very well for us. This winter however, we have had much higher resistance and the anthelmintics have been less effective. I have been checking my milkers FAMACHA scores every day. I had Chloe to a 3 last week and she has gone down half a score since.

I dose based on the recommend dosages. I don't use horse wormers because the meds are not evenly distributed within the paste.

For the cocci, I treat either with sulfadimethoxine or pay extra for the more convenient (can't remember the name but I think it starts with a P) but much more expensive meds from the vet.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a tube of probios, and probiotic pills. I also have a nutri-drench. I haven't given her anything other than a shot of B-vit because I am waiting on UT to call back. My friend has school today and should be able to pick up what I need and bring it back with her so I don't have to make that long trip.

As far as the specific dosages, I would have to go back upstairs to my lab and since I have already gone up and down those stairs 6 times today I would rather wait until I have to go back up there. I will get you those dosages though. I want to know if I have been underdosing. If so, I am going to be frustrated with UT's vet clinic.

I can't believe that last night she milked fine and the milk looked fine and then this morning... wow. I didn't know it could change so fast. I didn't milk her this morning my youngest did. He told me she didn't want to get up but that he got her up and she jumped on the milk stand and stood for milking. I didn't ask, and he didn't say, if she ate some grain at that time but I am guessing not.

This is completely my fault. I have been lax the past two weeks with cleanliness because I ran out of the wipes we use from Hoegger and I have been so busy with school! At least today is my day off. I just hope that I will still have time to study for my exam tomorrow and take care of her. The new wipes are already on their way. Stupid, lazy mistake! :he You would think I would know better by now!