Doe, 105.2 F, (Mastitis) Updated photos

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Banamine will bring down fever and reduce pain. She needs this ASAP. Also Nuflur is the antibiotic of choice. This is one of the few that can get into the udder. She also needs to be infused with TODAY.
X2

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have ilk goats, but just wanted to say that I hope your doe gets better. You have a better vet team right here on BYH than most vet clinics.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What i have suggested is the best chance for her survival. Anything else would just prolong her suffering. Sounds like a bad case. Good luck.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she has coliform mastitis it will come on very quickly. We get it in the cows. Watery, sometimes bloody, and often hot hard udder and temp. If it is Klebsiella, she will all of a sudden just make next to no milk, udder deflates, will feel cold but her body temp can either go way up or go subclinical. It can kill a cow in 24 hours. IV antibiotics are the way to go for either if it is severe, and mastitis treatment in the quarter. Coliform is easier to catch and treat but it is still very serious.

Prohibit is the wormer of choice here in the sheep, and the neighbors goats, if there is a severe infestation. I know alot of people don't go the natural route, but we have D E in all our feed and mineral mixes and have seen alot less worm problems that we used to.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Banamine will bring down fever and reduce pain. She needs this ASAP. Also Nuflur is the antibiotic of choice. This is one of the few that can get into the udder. She also needs to be infused with TODAY.

Here fever went down through no actions of my own around mid day today. I did pick up Today and already gave her that treatment and will continue to do so. I never did hear back from UT so I will bug them tomorrow or just stop by after classes and ask them about Nuflur. I did start her on Pen G because I had it. While I am there I think I may discuss Banamine with them. That or I will wait until I speak with my other vet about Banamine. Thanks for the info!

@OneFineAcre, Honestly, I don't know. There are many things about many vet school hospitals that confuse me. My vet keeps telling me that when I get into vet school, I need to learn what they teach for the tests and then figure out what I will actually do...

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's been a lot of research on copper oxide wire particles, using them alone or in combination with dewormers. I like the American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control's website http://www.wormx.info/

And about what your vet said - I've asked vets, too, and they say you don't use a lot of what you learn in vet school. You often pick up a lot of your habits and protocols off the vet or vets you initially work under or intern with. I can believe that.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I felt pretty confident we would be able to get this taken care of after our trip to the vet yesterday. Funny moment, Chloe was checking out one of the vets and decided her feet would make a perfect resting spot!
Chloe at vet.jpg

Unfortunately, while she has been doing great today, eating and drinking, getting up on her own and bugging us for love and treats. This evening when I went to milk her out and treat her I noticed her udder was cold and there was blood coming out of the side of it. I am worried this means that we are going to lose her after all. The vet saw no signs of gangrene yesterday but...

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Read through this thread.
Does can live and go about a normal life with half an udder. @babsbag had a doe that went through this too.

We put down our Kiko doe who had the blue bag because we couldn't keep the temp down. The doe just couldn't fight it and we couldn't let her suffer :hit

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/graphic-picture-warning.29193/

If she is coping you can let it slough off and she can be a brood doe.

Every case is different and it doesn't necessarily mean it's a death sentence.

I'd be spraying her with some screw worm spray to prevent fly strike.

Did they culture the milk?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did they culture the milk? I had a doe last year that got gangrene mastitis. I treated her with Oxytet and Banamine and she survived, even raised her kid, but she did lose 1/2 of the udder. She was pretty sick for about a week and then went right back to normal while the udder sloughed off. I treated her with Today as well but once it was obvious that it was gangrene I stopped the infusion. I did not milk her last year at all.

She kidded triplets this year.