1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Doe breathing loudly?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by AmberLops, May 17, 2019.

1. May 17, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

My 2 year old doe who has a litter of 3 week old kits suddenly started breathing strangely yesterday.
    Her breathing sounds sort of wheezy and labored. She's eating and drinking and seems normal otherwise...no sneezing, runny nose or discharge from eyes.
    Her babies seem okay and I don't think it's snuffles. It started when it got really hot yesterday (90 degrees) and I gave her frozen ice packs and water bottles.
    I'm worried about her!
    Any ideas as to what this could be??

2. May 17, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Just a guess, because its hot here....the heat probably got to her plus caring for her kits. Mine are getting witchy with the heat, just laying around ant not eating as much...we are in the 90's and they are in the shade with ice bottles.....its just nasty hot!

AmberLops likes this.
  3. May 17, 2019
    AmberLops

Will she be okay though?
    I've never had my rabbits outside until I moved here...but they're still sort of inside....they're in a extension of the house that was supposed to be an 'extra room'. It has 2 windows and just a doorway with no door but it still gets hot and muggy in there.
    I bought a big fan today and i'm hoping that helps plus she has lots of frozen bottles and ice water!
    Any other suggestions?

4. May 17, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I would try to get them in a shaded area with decent air movement. The ice bottles are great, but are a pain to keep refreezing. When i am out I sometimes mist them with my plant mister, that and a warm breeze seems to help, but remember, mine are outside under shade trees and 4'off the ground...I also keep a fan running in my goat house just to keep air moving (it is hung up high where the heat is ) keep the air moving unless temps. drop below 70 :bunny

AmberLops likes this.
  5. May 17, 2019
    AmberLops

Okay, i'll try to find a shady place for them...maybe just during the day and put them back in at night ?
    I just worry because there are tons of raccoons and opossums on my property!

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  6. May 17, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

If you have a safe place for during the day in the shade, or inside in a cooler room....whatever keeps them safest, coolest with moving air and water to drink :bunny yes, i would bring them in at night if you are worried ...

AmberLops likes this.
  7. May 17, 2019
    AmberLops

Thanks for the help! :)
    I put some 'breathe easy' essential oil on the bars of her cage and it seemed to help a lot...I wasn't expecting it to!

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  8. May 18, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

9. May 26, 2019
    AmberLops

Well I completely forgot that I posted this!
    Here's an update.
    My doe seems to be doing a lot better. Yesterday she had no wheezing at all. It does seem to come and go a little bit but overall she seems just fine :)