Doe bred ONCE, but kindles TWICE in 6 weeks (...then does it again!)

shanzu farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes! This is my working theory too. And ultimately looking for someone who has experienced this just out of curiosity. She takes sperm into both sides, fertilized one side, gives birth, stores the eggs on the other side, then releases again from the other side after a month or so when she is ready. Those eggs/sperm seem to last forever in that case, eh? Thanks for your comments. And yes, she has never had more than 8. I reported the last litter at 9, with one runt (which died) but i miscounted that day. Only 8, now down to 7 after the runt died.

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I hopefully have the explanation for your miracle births and why she's always late. Oh, and congrats an such a prolific doe!

Rabbits generally release only one fallopian tube's eggs at each time of conception (breeding) as the tube is where they meet the sperm. Those eggs then attach to the tube's wall and then a few days later attach to the uterus/womb itself where they grow.

What is possibly happening is that both tubes' eggs are being released and becoming fertilized. Then as one side attaches to the uterus wall, the other tube is put on a hold of some sort. Once the babies are born, the remaining tube releases the eggs into the uterus where they attach and grow. One month later here come litter number two!

As for your hermaphrodite theory, I am quite sure it is impossible for mammalian hermaphrodites to reproduce with themselves. Otherwise we would be seeing hermaphroditic people birthing clones of themselves. Only one organ works (which is where I believe we also get the 'boy stuck in a girl's body/vice versa' cases).

So, you're doe just hold already fertilized eggs within her and they grow after the first litter is born.

Rabbit Sam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes! This is my working theory too. And ultimately looking for someone who has experienced this just out of curiosity. She takes sperm into both sides, fertilized one side, gives birth, stores the eggs on the other side, then releases again from the other side after a month or so when she is ready. Those eggs/sperm seem to last forever in that case, eh? Thanks for your comments. And yes, she has never had more than 8. I reported the last litter at 9, with one runt (which died) but i miscounted that day. Only 8, now down to 7 after the runt died.
Please continue with the REST of the story! QUITE fascinating!