Doe building second nest

JessicaKissinger

Just born
Reaction score
Our doe gave birth to her second litter Friday night (it's Monday morning now). We didn't know she was pregnant. She pulled fur and made a nest in her litter box for them. We moved them to a nesting box. It looked like maybe she had fed them when I looked at them on Saturday, but not sure now. She has continued pulling fur, but is piling it up in the corner of the litter box, not the nesting box. I have seen her in the nesting box once, but now she's hanging out in the second nest she built. Her last litter died because she never produced milk, and hand feeding didn't work. Should I move them back into the place she gave birth, where she has piled up the fur? This (and the last) were accidental litters. We had the doe and buck (brother and sister) in an x-pen with a 2 ft tall divider between them, but the buck jumped over it last time, and the doe jumped over it this time. We now have them in separate x-pens in different rooms, so this won't happen again. I am aware that siblings shouldn't mate. We did not do this on purpose, so please no judgment. Just trying to help these kits survive.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
since she a new mom i would but remeber they dobt feed very often just about twice a day. you can just check on kits and see if they have fat bellys and are nice an have a bright healthy color. also check the second nest for more babies as they have two uterus and can be carrying more.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Moma's will sometimes continue to pull hair days after they've given birth. I'm not sure what you mean by 'litter box' but if it seems like she's making a nest in it, it's possible she could be pregnant again, then I would leave like that for a lil while. And I agree with Jesusfreak101, moma's do only feed they're babies about twice a day, and like she said, if they have fat bellies and healthy color, they're fine. And as far as siblings mating, it's fine. I raise my rabbits for meat and they all breed together. Now if you were raising show rabbits, that would be a different story. Hope all turns out good for you!