1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Doe died, kits are 3 weeks old. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning and Raising Young Rabbits' started by EmilyClick28, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Apr 20, 2018
    EmilyClick28

EmilyClick28 Ridin' The Range

My doe died unexpectedly this morning, for unknown causes. She has 6 kits that are all still alive, they are almost 3 weeks old. I really want to keep this litter alive, how can I do that? Can they eat hay and pellets yet? Is there some kind of formula I could bottle feed them? Please help!!!!!

Update: (8/2/2018)
    The kits all lived! Kitten milk replacer worked wonderfully, and they absolutely loved the calf manna. All of the rabbits are healthy and living, I sold 4 of them and 2 are outside bouncing around as healthy as ever. Thanks everyone so much for the help!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. Apr 20, 2018
    EmilyClick28

The babies seem healthy and happy but they’re hungry. I have another experienced doe, should I put the babies in her cage? She’s not pregnant or anything but I heard they’re supposed to eat their mother’s Droppings, so maybe they could eat hers? What would be best for them?

3. Apr 20, 2018
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

sorry about your doe, were the kits coming out of the nest box to sample the feed before your doe died? Not sure that other doe will take them at this stage.

@promiseacres @Bunnylady @samssimonsays

4. Apr 20, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

At 3 weeks I think I would just wean, adding some calf manna to their diet. Feeding them hay and pellets free choice. I would also dewormer for cocci sooner than later. (Like this week vs 6-7 weeks)
    I would not put in with the other doe

@Pastor Dave you have any advice?

5. Apr 20, 2018
    EmilyClick28

Yes, they’re eating pellets and hay.

Ok, thanks for the help! I’ve never dewormed any of mine before, where do you get that? Also, where can I get calf manna and how do I feed it to them?

6. Apr 20, 2018
    Sundragons

Sundragons Loving the herd life

KMR as well maybe?

7. Apr 20, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

Calf manna is found at farm stores, by a company called manna pro, it's a pellet. My bunnies all get some for extra conditioning or if nursing. I use corid powder, mixed by the gallon for cocci. I will check how much, it's like 1 TB per gallon.

8. Apr 20, 2018
    Sundragons

Sundragons Loving the herd life

Tractor supply has calf manna, and so do a lot of feed stores. TS has a 10 pound bag and typically you mix it 1 tsp to 1/4c pellets. FOr kits I'd probably mix it 1tbsp to 1/4c, especially since you're trying to supplement milk. We call it bunny crack at my house, ALL the rabbits go nuts for it.

9. Apr 20, 2018
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

I've never had cocci problems with my herd. :idunno I agree with the calf manna. Also, I would mix raw rolled oats (like you use to make oatmeal) in with the pellets, at least a couple of tablespoons per cup. It's a good baby food, and can help to firm up their poop if they get a bit soft due to stress.

10. Apr 20, 2018
    Jennifer Hinkle

Jennifer Hinkle Loving the herd life

I have had kits this young eat pellets, but they are still at that age, that in my opinion, they would still need a mothers milk, or you can milk replacer for rabbits.

EmilyClick28 likes this.