Doe died, kits are 3 weeks old. Help!!!

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My doe died unexpectedly this morning, for unknown causes. She has 6 kits that are all still alive, they are almost 3 weeks old. I really want to keep this litter alive, how can I do that? Can they eat hay and pellets yet? Is there some kind of formula I could bottle feed them? Please help!!!!!

Update: (8/2/2018)
The kits all lived! Kitten milk replacer worked wonderfully, and they absolutely loved the calf manna. All of the rabbits are healthy and living, I sold 4 of them and 2 are outside bouncing around as healthy as ever. Thanks everyone so much for the help!

Last edited:

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The babies seem healthy and happy but they’re hungry. I have another experienced doe, should I put the babies in her cage? She’s not pregnant or anything but I heard they’re supposed to eat their mother’s Droppings, so maybe they could eat hers? What would be best for them?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, they’re eating pellets and hay.

Ok, thanks for the help! I’ve never dewormed any of mine before, where do you get that? Also, where can I get calf manna and how do I feed it to them?
Calf manna is found at farm stores, by a company called manna pro, it's a pellet. My bunnies all get some for extra conditioning or if nursing. I use corid powder, mixed by the gallon for cocci. I will check how much, it's like 1 TB per gallon.

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Tractor supply has calf manna, and so do a lot of feed stores. TS has a 10 pound bag and typically you mix it 1 tsp to 1/4c pellets. FOr kits I'd probably mix it 1tbsp to 1/4c, especially since you're trying to supplement milk. We call it bunny crack at my house, ALL the rabbits go nuts for it.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had cocci problems with my herd. :idunno I agree with the calf manna. Also, I would mix raw rolled oats (like you use to make oatmeal) in with the pellets, at least a couple of tablespoons per cup. It's a good baby food, and can help to firm up their poop if they get a bit soft due to stress.

Jennifer Hinkle

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My doe died unexpectedly this morning, for unknown causes. She has 6 kits that are all still alive, they are almost 3 weeks old. I really want to keep this litter alive, how can I do that? Can they eat hay and pellets yet? Is there some kind of formula I could bottle feed them? Please help!!!!!
I have had kits this young eat pellets, but they are still at that age, that in my opinion, they would still need a mothers milk, or you can milk replacer for rabbits.

Latest posts