Doe is skiddish and Buck nips once in a while (help)

Laya1999

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image:13329.jpg image:5077.jpg Okay so Goliath, my flemish giant, nips me once in a while and i dont know why. So far his bites arnt bad yet but i dont want him to get there. Not to mention i got him two days ago. Whats wrong with him and what do i do? Is he settling down or something else?

Cadburry, Californian doe, throws a fit when picked up and always runs away when i try to get her out of her cage. I take all my rabbits out on walks, i let them exercise freely in a round pen, feed them treats, food, alfalfa once a week, give them chew toys and other toys, and i always pick them up in a scooping motion. Goliath kinda jerks and tries to free himself once in a while, Cadburry is nuts. Cadburry also tries to get away so i have to hold her 24/7 when not on a leash, in the round pen, or in her cage. She has never bitten me yet but still...her behavior along with Goliath worries me. Please help. (Goliath is the black one)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most rabbits struggle some when picked up, some it's due to lack of handling others just have very strong instincts which tell them we are prey animals. Most of my velveteen lops are very curious and unafraid compared to many other rabbits, they love being petted and if loose will come up to people. But still not thrilled to be held. They are handled from birth. Biting needs to be reprimanded and not tolerated. Californians are a meat breed, not bred for personality but for their ability to reproduce nice meaty bunnies. Sounds like she's got it made as a pet at your house, but she probably won't stop struggling due to that.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Californians don't like being picked up and held- when we have to move them we carry them with their head tucked under our arm. I think its like @promiseacres said.

Does Goliath try nipping no matter where he is- outside of his cage, inside of his cage etc or just in his cage? Maybe he feels the need to protect his stuff if inside the cage?

Good luck, hopefully they will settle down for you.

Laya1999

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos

Goliath nips when picked up sometimes and sometimes he nips in his doggy crate that we are using till we finish building his cage.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
remind me how long you have had them? He could just be uncomfortable getting picked up or not use to it. I guess if it was us, we would give him some more time and see if he settles down. We have several does who are on the mean side and will swat at us when we reach into their area to feed and clean.

Laya1999

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos Ive had Goliath for four days now (I think) and Ive had Cadbury for two years. I give them plenty of attention

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know its been awhile since this post was started, but I was wondering how to "reprimand" a biting bunny? Our Netherland Buck has nipped a few times. Hard enough to draw blood, actually. For the most part he's a sweet guy but every now and again he acts out.