doe kindled on the ground- all kits froze and died. help!!!

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hi i just recently got into breeding rabbits and this was my first time breeding. i bred my mini lop buck with my mini lop doe about a month ago and this was day 31 of the pregnancy. just this morning i went out to check on the doe to see if she had kindled, but all the kits were on the ground in her cage and they all froze!!!! im really sad about it. i put a nest box in her cage on day 22 but i noticed she wasnt really nesting in it... i asked a breeder and they said to just go out and if u see the babies on the ground, scoop them all up and put them in the nest box. but when i went out there they were all froze and had died! she could have kindled during the night but im not sure. please is there some way i could prevent this from happening again??? i plan to breed one of my other does soon and hopefully this time it will go better... please if anyone could help that would be great!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
There is really no way of knowing if she will do it again until she does. Sometimes first timers (I am assuming she was) don't know what they are supposed to do. I always place my nest boxes in on day 28 unless they show nesting signs sooner. You could remove her from her cage and place her in a solid bottomed cage or carrier or pack the flooring full of hay to prevent it next time. My best suggesting is breed her back within 4 days. I like to wait 3-4 days after they loose a litter for some recovery. Then, when she is close, bring her in the house although, with the temps warming up there should be no concern in a month or so of freezing. I used to breed year round when my rabbits were inside. Once they moved into a barn, however, I had to compromise and breed seasonally to avoid the freezing temps.

LukeMeister

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm really sorry about that. :( Most of the time first time mothers lose their litter, but learn from their mistakes. If you breed her again she may or may not get it right.

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yeah she was a first time mom. the thing is she started pulling fur on day 20 so thats why i put the box in so soon. i definitely like the idea of putting her inside to avoid that happening again! :) thank you so much ill try that next time. i went ahead and bred one of my other does today in hopes of her being a better mom. thank you so much for all the help! i will try bringing her inside when shes close. thanks!

There is really no way of knowing if she will do it again until she does. Sometimes first timers (I am assuming she was) don't know what they are supposed to do. I always place my nest boxes in on day 28 unless they show nesting signs sooner. You could remove her from her cage and place her in a solid bottomed cage or carrier or pack the flooring full of hay to prevent it next time. My best suggesting is breed her back within 4 days. I like to wait 3-4 days after they loose a litter for some recovery. Then, when she is close, bring her in the house although, with the temps warming up there should be no concern in a month or so of freezing. I used to breed year round when my rabbits were inside. Once they moved into a barn, however, I had to compromise and breed seasonally to avoid the freezing temps.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
You are so welcome. Solid bottomed dog kennels saved many of litters of mine for sure. Also, if you breed multiple does at the same time, if one is a bad mom you can usually foster the babies out to the other. ;) Good luck!

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
really? well thank you very much! :) ill probably be posting on how this pregnancy goes. lets hope this one goes better. :)

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Everyone pretty much covered it! Unfortunately it happens. Animals can be so rewarding, yet at times so frustrating.

I put the nest boxes in at day 28 as well. If I had space, which I don't, I think I would use under cage nesting boxes ( in a hole in the floor). Seems more "natural" to me after observing wild rabbits.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everyone pretty much covered it! Unfortunately it happens. Animals can be so rewarding, yet at times so frustrating.

I put the nest boxes in at day 28 as well. If I had space, which I don't, I think I would use under cage nesting boxes ( in a hole in the floor). Seems more "natural" to me after observing wild rabbits.
I've heard people who have used them say that does hardly ever kindle outside of the hanging nest boxes, and if a kit does accidentally get pulled out, it usually finds its way back just crawling around, Never tried them myself, though I have been tempted.

One further note - if you find live kits that get born somewhere other than the box, you can usually put them in the box where they belong (along with whatever fur and other nest material you can salvage) and the doe usually will accept that and go on to use the box in the future.

Good luck!

Latest posts